a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1yr update 10 inch trailer wheels

Started by Napier6, March 16, 2011, 10:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napier6

Capt Ron28, I just looked through the tired old tire discussion, but as it seems 6 years is a little long in the tooth for trailer tires - I'm replacing.  What I wanted to know is, since it has been about a year since the posts, what did you go with, 14" I assume? Also, are you happy with your choice (ie no blowouts on the side of the road)?
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

CaptRon28

After the 1300 mile trip from FL to NJ, I'm not planning on moving the boat more than about 50 miles at a time. The average launch trip should be 15 miles or less, at speeds topping out at maybe 45 miles an hour. I was averaging maybe 55 mph on the way north and had absolutely no problems at all, heat buildiup or otherwise. Stopped maybe a half dozen times to measure the brake and bearing temperatures with a laser thermometer. Bigger wheels and tires would be nice to have, but I may not really need them.

The 4 wheel drum brakes are working reasonably well, but I've got to be carefull about salt water launches. It's not easy to flush out a drum brake system. My main concern is with the brakes and I'd prefer to have discs instead. The "open" design makes them easy to hose off.  But that would mandate 13 inch wheels at the minimum - they don't make calipers and rotors for smaller applications. When these things finally rust out I will seriously consider 13 inch wheels. On the other hand - I may do most of my NJ sailing on a fresh water lake / reservoir near my house, if I can mount an electric trolling motor on the transom, rudder or folding ladder. If this works out, the salt water problems may go away.

Anyway - I have no immediate plans to replace the 10 inch wheels or the drum brakes.  Frequent salt water launches could get me to change my mind.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

skip1930

Size of the tire is superfluous. The LOAD Rating is more potent in regards to carry the load.
Albeit, a smaller tire turns more revolutions per mile dragged, I've got a feeling it's designed for it.
The larger tire has a greater centrifugal load on the bearings selected for a smaller dia tire.

I actually don't think this makes any difference. Keep them inflated and enjoy the ride.
Carry a spare and change it when it goes flat.
Alway use Permatex NeverSeaze on the studs and use a Tee wrench and a small bottle jack.

ANY 13, 14, 15, or? size tire that is not LOAD RATED the same or better then the 10" is worst then a properly rated 10" tire.
You could use go-cart hydraulic brakes or aeroplane brakes if you need small discs. Trailer brakes are just for drag. And should not lock-up and skid even if the tow skids or goes into anti-lock studder.

skip.

Billy

I have talked to Gerry & he said they have trailered these boats from FL to California w/ no problems.

I've trailered my 19 (w/ 10" tires) from the west coast of FL to the East coast 3 hours at 70mph w/out stopping and I had no problems.

I practically rebuilt my trailer though, new wheels, tires, hubs, & an axle.

This weekend I'm trailering my boat down to Bocca Grand (almost 3 hours) and I'll let you guys know how it goes shall I return.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

CaptRon28

Skip -

I wouldn't call the 10 inch wheels and tires "unsafe", but I do believe that bigger would be better. Two reasons - you can't put disc brakes behind them and they are spinning at over twice the revolutions of my truck's tires. Truck's tires doing 65, trailer is running at the equivalent of 130+ mph. I do not think that they are built any stronger to take this. Note that the hubs and bearings are doing twice the revolutions as well.

The inability to use disc brakes is more of an issue to me. Salt water and drum brakes do not get along that well. Very difficult to flush them out. But the smaller wheels and tires do have one advantage - it gets the trailer closer to the ground for launching and retrieving.
Ron Marcuse

skip1930

"that they are built any stronger to take this. Note that the hubs and bearings are doing twice the revolutions as well. "

Well what are you going to do when your dragging the CP-19 around?
Yes, I am aware of these facts. So 3.141 times radius = dia....130+ ??and tow is doing 65mph? I don't tow that fast. Just remember the reaction time is 3/4 of a second to lift your foot. Plus 3/4 of a second to apply the brakes...and that's if your paying attention. So how far does the rig travel in 1-1/2 seconds at 65mph?

I said I believe that the rubber meets the road with all the assurances of completing the mission of hauling the boat, trailer, and all the fixings down a hot sun baked blacktop just fine. Keep 'em inflated or they'll ply separate. The tires are used up when they are used up. Can't say when that is.

Brakes? "We don't need no stinking brakes" to quote some movie.

Answer: At 60 mph and 1-1/2 seconds reaction time is...1.5 seconds times 88 feet per second = 132 foot. Most people react 3 to 5 seconds upon realizing they are crashing...

skip.

Glenn Basore

The first thing I did when I got my Eclipse home from a 500 mile trip and one blow out was to change over to 14 inch rims and 185 - 14 tires.................no problems since the change and I do believe the boat trailers better.

Glenn

Billy

Glen,
I'm sure it trailers better, but how does it launch & retreave? Did you ever launch it w/ the old 10" tires for comparison? And how long is your average tow?

I usually only tow about 10 miles sometimes only a 1/4 mile down to the lake, but if I'm going to the gulf about 10 miles. About once a year I'll take it somewhere further. LAst year went to Titusville for a shuttle launch (150 miles each way) and this weekend to Cayo Costa (about the same). Next year maybe the Keys.

I like my 10" tires for what I do, but if you do more towing than launching I could see getting larger tires.

I love these boats!!! So many possibilities!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

CaptRon28

Quote from: skip1930 on March 17, 2011, 08:14:40 AM
Brakes? "We don't need no stinking brakes" to quote some movie.
skip

Actually, in most states you do. Something like 2000 pounds is the most you can legally tow without them. For a 4000+ pound load like an Horizon, you'd be crazy not to have working brakes on the trailer. An extra 4200 pounds to brake would be too much for most smaller trucks or SUV's, and make things somewhat difficult for larger trucks as well.
Ron Marcuse

kickingbug1

i will be going to 12 inchers for my 16  provided i can find 12 inch radials
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

Sorry rarely have I ever been legal yet.
But I should be.
As the judge said to me once, "The manufacture did not install any rear bumpers on a garbage truck, and there fore since you are the manufacture and the state of Illinois sent you a title, you don't need rear bumpers on your Dune Buggy. Case dismissed."

skip. Of course your right about the brakes. I pulled 8,000 lb of compost on a 16 foot double axle trailer that I built behind a T-Bird with it's butt on the pavement all the way home. I never tried to stop. I could not get the V-6 up past 40 mph. The only thing I worried about was pulling the 1 inch square receiver hitch off the bottom of the T-Bird.

skip.

Glenn Basore

Billy,

I usually drive 50 miles to launch. on special events I tow about 150 - 300 miles one way.

I also had to add new fenders so they would clear the new tires.

I did add surge brakes just for added safety, every thing is rally nice.

I did not launch with the small tires. I bought the boat from the previous owner who live 500 miles away. I really sweat ed it out towing the boat home, 105 degrees crossing nothing but desert. I had a blow out 100 miles from home and with California having some of the worse roads, I feel lucky that I only had one blow out. I was on the out skirts of a town when it blew.

I usually tow at 60 mph.

I have not had any problems launching as all the ramps here in California that I have used have been nice and steep.

CaptRon28

Quote from: kickingbug1 on March 17, 2011, 01:33:50 PM
    i will be going to 12 inchers for my 16  provided i can find 12 inch radials

Think about 13's as well. The advantage is that they make disc brake systems that would fit behind them. 12 inches would be the same as 10's. You'd also have more choices for tires.
Ron Marcuse

Napier6

Thanks for the input Ron.  I asked the dealer if we could go up on the load rating for the 10" tires and he said they have a very limited selection at that size.  They ordered the maximum load rating.   Which does make me happy.  I was going to find out a few more options, such as going up a wheel size or two, but it's a moot point now since they installed them.  My dad used to deal with these guys, but communication does not seem to be a strong suit.  At this point I know every thing wears out and tires will come up again.  I'll let you know how it goes, as I want to hit the coast this week.
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

CaptRon28

I'm down in Florida and the Horizon is ns NJ, so the following is from memory. The 10 inch tires on my MagicTilt / Horizon are 10 ply rated, also known as an "E" rating. Recommended cold pressure is something like 90 psi, and each one can hold about 1650 pounds. "B" and "C" rated tires may not work on some of the boats - it depends on how much load is on them. I think "B" is something like 900 pounds each at 35 psi maximum pressure.  If the boat and trailer are 2,000 pounds or more - forget it. I'd want to see a 25 percent safety margin as well.  In my case, 4200 pounds of boat and trailer with 4 10 inch wheels mandates the "E" rated tires. Four "C" rated tires with 4400 pound maximum capacity under 4200 pounds of trailer would be too close for me.

The moral of this story is that all tires are not equal.
Ron Marcuse