a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Free Compac 16!!

Started by Mercrewser, April 24, 2005, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercrewser

I have been looking for a small daysailer to pull behind my small Saturn car.  We're on a strict budget being newly married and I have been looking at daysailers, Newports etc. believing a Compac is out of my budget.  There was an add in the local paper for a "sailboat".  No info was given except it said "name your price".  I called and left a message, believing that they must have gotten a ton of calls and the boat was probably gone.  Few days later the seller calls and informs me the boat is still there nad he just wants it gone.  He tells me its free but has no idea what it is and hasnt sailed it in 20 yrs.  Turns out its a Compac 16, all though it has been really neglected.  The main problem is he cant find the sails.  Can you guys steer me in the right direction to get a good set of sails for this boat?  I dont mind spending money, I just want quality and a jib sail that might help with the poor pointing and weatherhelm characteristics of these boats.  (Maybe a Genoah?)  This boat DOES NOT have a bowsprit or centerboard.  I believe it to be a 1981 model.  I like the oppurtunity  to set this boat up from scratch with sails that will help get the most performance out of her.  I also need a mast step because somehow the old one was torn off the top of the cabin.  I'll be picking the boat up tomorrow and cant wait to get her out on Lake Nockamixon.  I see there are some other PA boaters on this site and I'm eager to be out sailing with them.  Also, I plan to buy the 2hp 4stroke Honda outboard (28lbs).  Can anyone think of a better choice?  I'm thinking a 4hp 2stroke (50lbs) wouldnt be worth the weight, or the 2stroke hassels.

Craig

Welcome to the family of 16 owners!
Can't do better than free, even for a boat that has been neglected. If you can sew, or know someone who has a commerical grade sewing machine Sailrite sells kits. Keep us informed on how things progress.

I have a 2hp 2 stroke Johnson that does just fine in the lakes I sail in.

Craig

Gil Weiss

Go with a light motor . . .I sold my  4 stroke 4 hp Tohatsu (55lbs) and bought the 3.5 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu (28lbs) which works great. The 2 hp 4stroke Honda works very well too. I like the simplicity of a two stroke. The CP16 does not require a great deal of horsepower. The 3.5 pushes it very well - I am using a higher torque prop this year, recommended by Tohatsu for a heavy boat like the CP16.

Back in the 80's I designed and built a boat and had Sailrite design the sail and sell me the materials. My wife made a great set of sails with their plans and information.

Good luck on your CP16.

Gil

steve brown

:) I have a 3.5 Nissan 2 stroke long shaft 2002 motor for sale. I am relpacing it with a Honda 5 for my CP19 that I will pick up in 2 weeks. I never used the motor but the previous owner had no complaints. I live in the Albany, NY area and the motor is in Skaneateles, NY at the boat shop where I am buying my 19. I think the 3.5 would be fine on the 16. Also Hutchins has many replacement parts for their older ComPacs. They can send you a list of what is available. I found some nice things there for my 1982 19. Enjoy your CP16. Regards, Steve

Gil Weiss

You do want the long shaft for the CP16, even though the manual says short shaft. LS is much better and easier to use as you do not need to extend the mount downwards more than one notch.  I generally don't lower the mount at all to get of of the marina as the cavitation plate is well under water. During cruising if there is wavr action I drop the mount down a notch.

Mercrewser

The boat is home!  And he found the sails.  I'm going to send them off to Linthicum to be cleaned.  The only thing holding me up is the mast step that is supposed to be on top of the cabin.  I cant sail until I get a replacement.  Do you gus have any ideas?  Will Hutchins help me with this?  I'll call them tomorrow.

Craig

By all means call Com-Pac.  They are very helpful and are a good source of parts.

Now, since the tabernacle is missing does that mean it was ripped out? If it was you may be looking at a more extensive repair. The tabernacle screws into a block of wood that is glassed in the cabin roof It's what makes the bump the tabernacle screws into. If it was ripped out you may need to cut that block out and replace it. If it was simply removed (why, would be a good question) do not through bolt it, but get the right size srews to reattach. Either way (ripped or removed) it sounds like the boat sat out and you need to make sure the wood has not become saturated and rotten. The reason for the tabernacle attached by screws to a glassed in block of wood is if you have a standing rigging failure the tabernacle should pull out of the block rather than tear a gaping hole in the roof of the cabin.

Before installing the tabernacle you will want to ream out the holes and fill with epoxy resin then redrill before replacing the screws, that way the screws are in epoxy and not in wood. Even though you should caulk thoroughly if water gets under the tabernacle and down the screws it will not penetrate into the wood.

Sorry for this rambling response...

Craig

Gil Weiss

Craig's information is very good and very comprehensive. I found Hutchins great to deal with for parts. I have used Linthicum Sails for several years for everthing from making sails to cleaning sails to providing me a roller furler. Brad Linthicum and his crew are very knowledgable terrific to deal with.

Talking about ripping a mast out reminds me of an accident that happened near Philly on the Atlantic City Expressway last week. A loaded car carrier somehow hit an underpass and, according to the news reports, "cleared its upper deck". The reports said that the driver, unhurt, was going to have a hard time explaining the situation to his boss.

"Keep you masts up and your rudders and centerboards (if you have one) down!"

Mercrewser

Saw that on the news!  The Hutchins people are amazing, the part is already on its way.  I was planning on thru bolting but didnt even think about what would happen if the rigging failed.  I think the mast was taken down improperly and thats what tore the step off.  I'll have to do some careful planning on this repair.  Thanks for the info guys!

Mercrewser

I looked at the plywood inside the mounting plate.  It appears offly firm to me.  I pounded on it and stuck a small screwdriver into the holes and I didnt find any rot.  I find this hard to believe as this has been sitting out in the elements for 11 yrs.  But I think I might be good to go.  What do you guys think?  I thought I might put some extra screws in for good measure.  Also, as for resin, I guess I can just put some 5200 in there.  If you think I need to go further with this plate let me know as I will pay someone to fix it.  This rather concerns me because I want a safe boat.  Otherwise, I might be able to go out this weekend, all for $21.00, the cost of the tabernacle!

Oh and BTW, it is hull #759, and it will be named Lauren Beth, after the wife.  I will post some pictures as it was found in incredibly rough condition.  For Lake Nockamixon, Barnegat Bay, and Ocean City NJ area mariners, you will see a rather large (80lb) white Standard Poodle on board.

Gil Weiss

If the wood seems OK and you get the screws to bite well and snug up tight you are probably good to go. I would just bed the screws with a sealer/caulk compound. If the four screws go in tight I would not add any additional.

Although my wife and I keep our boat at Lake Nockamixon we frequent Ocean City NJ too  - we spend a week in July and a week in August there. We don't take the boat as it isn't worth the effort. We are in OC Monday thru Friday during the two vacation weeks.

Your pooch should be quite noticeable so we will be looking. Lots of sailing dogs (canines) at Lake N.

We live in Bensalem PA - where are you located?

Mercrewser

We are in Souderton, not to far.  I started with sailboats, (Snipe, Flying Junior) on the lakes here and then moved into powerboats.  I kept them in Croydon, just down the street from you.  Now I'm married, and was looking for an efficient, low cost, yet attractive boat to get on the water.  I also wanted to get rid of my gas guzzling truck and pull a boat with my Saturn (2000lb tow rating).  Do you think I could have done any better?  Total expense so far is $21.00!
Woody from Hutchins called this morning and made me feel better with what I have.  I think that tabernacle plate is ready to go.  They must have used treated plywood.  I may be out on Nockamixon Sunday after church, weather permitting.  I know Bill Phanstiel (CP23) very well as I worked with his son.  Hopefully he'll have his boat in soon.
I want to strip the bottom paint off, (most of it is already off) and I have to fill in some pretty deep gelcoat scratches.  (Previous owner didnt know what a "Spring line" was apperantly).  There are some deep gouges in the keel (maybe 2).  Think its ok to sail it, or will I compromise the exposed fiberglass?  I'm not looking forward to gel coat repairs as I can't match colors well.  I plan on holding off on these repairs until I can have a reputable Fiberglass guy fix them.  All that would be left is the rotten floor in the cabin.  That will have to wait until this winter.

Gil Weiss

Very goog on everything. Yep, for 21 bucks you done good! My 1990 with trailer and a 2001 Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke (I later sold this and bought a new 3.5 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu) cost me $ 5,900. But, the boat was in FINE shape. Today I have it even in finer shape after investing more money and time . . .but boats are a hobby too.

I am familiar with Souderton. You will have a short trip to the lake. I see Bill and his wife out on there CP23 all the time. My boat "winters" in Croydon at the Three Seasons Marina.

I'm still targeting next weekend for a launch. Will put finishing touches on the boat this weekend weather permitting.

Craig

Souderton??!! Geez, you guys are making me homesick...  I used to live in Blooming Glen, now in northeast Indiana.

We recently added a Cardigan Wesh Corgi to our family. Don't know whether she's a sailor or not.  I suppose I'll find out this summer. Gil, ever take your parrot sailing? Maybe if we all chipped and got you an eye patch, a hook, a peg leg, and a black bandana, then the parrot would sit on you shoulder and and say, "ARRR Matey!!"

:D
Craig

Mercrewser

All dogs ar sailers!  Why do you think I was looking for a boat with a cabin?  We were shopping for a boat to suit the dog, so he can go somewhere out of the sun.  I had been really encouraged to buy a Thistle so I could race at the club here.  I was even presented with some really decent Thistles for sale from those guys.  But a Thistle really isnt the boat for the wife and dog.  I'm taking my boat off the trailer for easier bottom paint removal.  I've had enough of wet sanding upside down under the boat.  Also the cabin is really bothering me so I might be pulling it into the shop to replace plywood in the cabin sooner than later.  Gill, I need some rigging odds an ends.  Do you know of a good store were I could browse around and pick up what I need (turnbuckles etc)?  Maybe The Sailboat Shop in NJ?

CP16 #759   "Lauren Beth"