a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

antenna connector thru hull fitting placement

Started by fred, March 10, 2011, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

I am installing a VHF radio with a mast top antenna in my 16...I am drilling through the cabin near the mast...any ideas on exactly how far off the step to drill? Would you be reluctant to put the thru-hull connector in this area... Would this 1/2 inch hole cause the step area to weaken.

Thanks lads,

Fred

Bob23

Hi Fred, and welcome to the site!
   I did the same exact project on my 1985 23/2 a few years ago. I used a "Cable Clam" which I think I bought at West Marine. It wasn't expensive. With the Clam, you can run a continous wire from the masthead antenna down to the radio and don't have a break in the wire. Whatever holes you drill should be coated with epoxy to eliminate water from entering the core inside the fiberglass.
   After you buy the Clam, the instructions make it pretty clear how it works. You can see 2 of them on the photo below of the deck of my 23. I did drill the holes pretty far from the mast step because I didn't want any penetrations near the load point of the mat.
   It's pretty easy...West Marine part # 540732 or #540740.
   Keep us posted about your adventures!
Bob23

fred

Hi Bob...thanks for the welcome and advice...It was really nice to find this site. Looks like you have a beauty to go a'rovin' on. Cable clams are a good idea and I think I will go further away from the step as well. At first I planned to offset the hole about 3 inches from the step to keep from having cable on her limited deck space. I am filling hr out a little and even put a compass and depth sounder in her. Got sail covers, engine and tiller covers to match. The boat is almost in new condition for an 85 with clean white sails in excellent condtion. If any of you fellows need sail cleaning I can put you up with a really good man down in Oriental NC that is very reasonable.

It is about time to launch the little pretty. Spring comes early on Lake Watauga.

Fred

skip1930

Fred check also yesterday's conversation with 'Deb' who is placing an all around light at the top-o-16 mast. [Re: All-Round light]
And in the Shakespeare Antenna catalog is a small box that allows both a VHF reception and an am/fm reception.
I have one. It works great. One can listen to the fm or am and have the VHF on scan.
When a VHF transmission is received by my antenna I here that call. Otherwise it's the other frequency.

The connection through the dog house, [not the hull] drilled along side the mast's tabernacle will not effect the strength of the bridge or compression post area normally found on a Com-Pac. One reason for that is Com-Pac much to there credit does not use a sandwich core construction, but rather a plywood hard point to sink screws into and to spread out the load and that is glassed under the standard epoxy impregnated fiberglass cloth [vs a chop gun construction like on cheaper boats] in construction.

When I put mt radio cable through my dog house I used the longest connector [Female to female, standard Shakespeare connector I could buy. And that was just barley enough length.] The hole drilled for the connector was drilled from the inside. Next to my compression post. But also I picked an area that put the visible connector in the white deck area and not on the anti-skid area, or half on and half off. I think it was 1-1/2 inch long. I used solder less connections at all points AND went ahead and soldered ever thing I could. Then sanded the solder male pins down to a good slip fit. Just for poops and grins a dab of electric bulb greese. One can never have a good enough connection.

The cable runs down the back side of the compression post, under the Vee, through the storage locker, through the 'headboard' of the quarter birth, under the quarter birth cushion, to the 'box' and splits to the radios. Only took a couple of days of cyphering to get it right.

skip.

fred

Hey Skip...the dog house it is for sure! And thanks for the tips. The way you did yours is exactly the way I had planned mine but wanted backup from someone. I really like the antenna idea as well but I already have a new 3' Shakespere...I'm going the full running lights route...is there any place that has really inexpensive lights.

Happy days to ya and thanks again...

Fred 

skip1930

Yea your new 3 foot antenna is exactly what I have. It's just an exercise in cable routing. Note the three self tapping Tec screws anchoring the mounting bracket between the pulleys in the mast head casting, and the cable and wire enter the mast tube below the casting. Not through the casting then into the tube. Think about it!
The piece of teak I found in a junk pile of skids in a marina. The wind arrow was found in the pile also. Go be a scavenger. You never know what you'll find.

skip.

Mast is off-set on 2 x 4's off the pulpits so I can go below easiely. Wire through the dog house, down the compression post.

Bob23

Skip:
   Is the block on the front of the masthead for a spinaker halyard?
Bob23

Billy

Quote from: Bob23 on March 12, 2011, 07:19:30 PM
Skip:
   Is the block on the front of the masthead for a spinaker halyard?
Bob23

It is, I asked him that back when he was just plain old "Skip". As soon as I can convince the wife I plan on getting a ballon sail and setting it up just like Skip!
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3499.0
back before I knew how to post pictures, Bob I'm sure you can relate.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

fred

Skip...nice rig...I now see how to rig the anchor light or tri color and can offset my windvane without drilling into the mast to mount a bracket (I like the wood too!) I notice that you have run the coax through the mast...does it rattle when you roll? I was going to run 'er down the outside. What kind of battery do you use...I was going to spring for a small gel but am always open on how to save a little money.

THX,

Fred

skip1930

Bob23 asks;   Is the block on the front of the masthead for a spinnaker halyard? -->YES. It's a little too large in dia for the job. But I want EZ pull.
Purchased my 3/4 once, asymmetrical, more costly Star-Cut spinnaker from SailEast w/ loft in Hong Cong at the All Sail Show in Chicago, with sock for $520, shipped UPS to my door.

Fred asks;   run the coax through the mast...does it rattle when you roll? -->Nope. The cable for the antenna and wiring for the Davis anchor light both are pulled tight from one end to other other end and kept tight with grommets and silicone. I should mention I have a manual switch to turn the power off to the Davis light sensing eye. Don't need that lamp on when I'm tied to the dock.

As for my second battery since I owned my boat [2001], I boiled the water out of the first one with my solar panel, because it was on sale at a time when I had no job, I purchased a West Marine Deep Cycle 500C, 1231109 at $104.99, saving me $35.00. My advice...a battery never has enough Amperage capacity. Go big. Batteries don't store energy. They simply release electrons on demand. It takes far more energy to put the electrons back into the battery then it takes to release electrons. No renewable energy exists. Gel cells are no different. Just a different construction method. As are glass matt cells. And...what ever else they come up with. I'm not a big fan of inverters either. They s u c k  power.

skip.

skip1930

As said above. "It's just an exercise in cable routing."

Again--> Hold the CTRL key Down and tap the + key to enlarge lettering.

The BLACK BOX.

skip. I have every thing I ever did or put onto this boat in two three ring binders.

fred

Thanks Skip...good idea to log the stuff we do...is yours a 16. Do I see lifelines?
Where is she homeported. I am in East Tennessee.

Fred

skip1930

Fred-->As at the bottom of each skip post you'll see-->'Comfort and Joy', 1996 CP 19 XL Hull # 588.
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
On the 'thumb' of Wisconsin between the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan.
The Door County peninsula has 300 miles of shore line and may be just the best sailing fresh water around.
I added the stanchions, and life lines and stern pulpit, as this hull was never fitted with them from the factory.

skip.

KPL

Quote from: fred on March 12, 2011, 10:29:35 PM
I notice that you have run the coax through the mast...does it rattle when you roll? I was going to run 'er down the outside.

THX,

Fred

Fred -
When I ran the wire in my mast for the masthead light, I used a trick I read online and fastened a zip tie (leave the tail on) every couple of feet.  When you pull it through the mast, the zip ties press against the walls and keep the wire from rattling.  Easy and works like a charm.  I also knotted the wire on each end where it exits the mast.  You'd need to use a grommet on the VHF as you wouldn't want to knot it...

Kevin

fred

Good tip Kevin...where there's a will there surely is a way...will do...may you be blessed with many pretty girlsfriends and/or an attactive wife.

Fred