a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

National Sails

Started by brianh, February 16, 2011, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianh

I just got a price quote for my 77 Com-Pac 16 from national.  The price quoted fr 4 oz Dacron Main with Standard battens and no reef points was $298 and price on a standard hank on jib again with 4 oz Dacron was $139.  Having never heard or dealt with this company and very limited info on here about them, has anybody else dealt with this company before and can tell me about the quality of their product?
A bad day on the water beats a good day at work.

Billy

price seems fair but 4oz dacron is pretty thin. Heavy winds or an accidental snag could rip it pretty easily. But if where you sail has light winds most of the time I guess 4oz is ok.

I got a 4oz 150 genny for my 19 and it is thin! my main and 110 jib are 5 oz.

Bob23 is looking at getting 6 oz
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

CaptRon28

The sails are made in Thailand. I've never used them nor do I know anyone who has. They might be OK, or ????
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

brianh

I did some searching on the net and most of the posts are positive about their quality.  As far as the weight of the sail cloth, if my ancient memory serves me correct the stock sails were of thin cloth and I never had any issues with them tearing in heavy winds.

Bob23

I'm gonna echo Billy on this one. I think the stock main for my 23 (1985) is 5 oz. I'm in the process of getting new sails from a local and reputable loft and he's using 6.62 oz. partly because of the consistently high winds we have in our area (NJ). I'd be very leary about 4 oz but more disturbing is the price: That sounds too good to be true. I'm not saying they're not a good deal but you do get what you  pay for. Finding out when you get hit with a 40 knt gust that your sails are too weak is not a pretty picture. But I do admit to leaning toward overkill in almost everything I do.
   Let us know how you make out.
Bob23

crazycarl

i purchased a set of tanbark sails last fall for our starwind 19 from national.  except for the slugs being too large, the sails performed flawlessly.  the gentleman i talked to on the phone talked me through the measureing process, and when they arrived they fit beautifully.  i had sailed through some pretty heavy winds during a 30 day cruise through the keys last winter, and they held up and just as crisp.  here are some pics of the clew, tack, and head as they are today.

i don't remember the weight of the fabric, and i couldn't find the receipt, but i do remember paying $1100 for the 150% roller jib with sunbrella cover panel and main.  that includes two sail bags and shipping.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Ferd Johns

I've dealt with Dirk on a 6 oz coastal main for my 19 and an asymmetrical. I have received the main, and the asymmetrical is on order. The mainsail was excellent quality and a good price. The sails are actually Rolly Tasker sails. Take a look at their website. Tells how they moved their loft to Phuket, Thailand. I have nothing but good things to say about Dirk and National Sail Supply.

Ferd Johns

Shawn

Brian,

How much to add a reef point? You should have at least one.

Shawn

Shawn

Bob,

"I'd be very leary about 4 oz but more disturbing is the price: That sounds too good to be true."

It doesn't seem out of line considering the weight of the fabric and no reef points.

The base cost of the new main I ordered from Kelly Hanson for my 23 was $395 (there was a special in November) with 6 ounce fabric and 1 reef point.

Shawn

brianh

Reef points are not a worry for me.  I did get a price going with a heavier cloth going to a 5 oz cloth the price would go up to $325 and $150.  Compare this to the price quote I got from North with 1 reef point using 5 oz cloth.  Their price for the main alone was $710.  Mack quoted $570 for the main on 4.62 oz cloth. 

zc6840

Hello All, This may be a bit late and no doubt any sail purchase contemplated  has now occurred. My CP16 has Rolly Tasker(National) sails and I can't say anything but good about them. The quality is excellent and the features and attention to detail usually come at a higher price. Dirk is the man to deal with. He knows his product and will deliver to your satisfaction and on schedule.Two weeks to launch. RTH.

Salty19

Just received my new jib and genoa from Dirk as well.  They ARE nice!  On time to the day!!! Can't say the same about FX. We'll see how they perform later this week.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603