a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interlux paint colors

Started by wes, February 16, 2011, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

I'm thinking of painting my topsides with Interlux Perfection in either Flag Blue, Mauritius Blue, or Cream/Hatteras White. The postage stamp sized color chips in the Interlux brochure are useless, I called Interlux and they do not offer larger chips, and I don't trust the accuracy of the colors on their web site. Has anyone painted their boat in any of these colors, and so would you be willing to post or email a photo?
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Wes-

No real help for you, but I would go with lighter colors if at all possible.  As dark colors absorb light and thus heat, the cabin will be significantly hotter with dark colors on the topsides.   Since the hull is not as exposed to direct light, if you're looking for some color a blue hull and white topsides would look great and wouldn't be too hot.

Also as the paint oxidizes it turns whiter so in a few years the dark topsides might not look as good you want it to.  That is if the boat is exposed to the sun most of the time.

If you're trailering and store in a garage, none of this likely matter a bit.

As for trusting colors, I agree.  I use two monitors with different specs...some colors look completely different on each of the two screens. Other are identical.  Those paint chips might be your only hope at matching.

Just my $.02, leave change as needed.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

yea keep the top white, or cream. But blue below the rub rail looks great!

Colors do fade though.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jimyoung

Painted Miss B. 2 years ago now and still love the results.... I painted all the non-skid the same blue as blue masking tape and it really stands out..... Have not noticed any difference with the cabin temps but the deck gets REALLY hot in the summer sun. Big negative on bare feet and butts but I always wear deck shoes on the boat (clumsy toes) and as I said I really like the color.

My 2 cents... I have painted the storage areas below decks with the one part Interlux and the top sides with two part Awlgrip and hands down Awlgrip is a better product in looks, ease of application (when done correctly) and toughness.  Spring for the extra cash now, you won't remember next year how much you spent but you will still be looking at the boat daily.  Just remember the fumes are toxic until dry so suit up and wear a good respirator.
Capt'n Jim

Billy

whats the difference b/w "one part" an "two part"?

crazycarl

Quote from: Billy on February 16, 2011, 10:45:45 PM
whats the difference b/w "one part" an "two part"?

with one part, you thin it and apply it.  two part is like an epoxy, you add a hardener for it to set up.  this is why two part paints are much more durable.  the paint on your auto is two part.  also, the working time with two part is much longer than one part paints. 

as for awlgrip, awlcraft, and perfection, they are made by the same company.  awlgrip is made for professional spray application.
awlcraft and perfection can be applied by novices with spray or roll and tip methods.

all three of these paints are harder and have more resistance to uv than say, brightsides (one part)
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Billy

Thanks, I'll take it one further,
What do you mean "tip method"? And does the hardener come w/ the paint?

crazycarl

the roll and tip method is performed with one person rolling the paint on while immediately behind is a second painter with a specially designed brush ($$) who gently drags the slightly wetted tip across the newly rolled area at a 45 degree angle thus breaking the paint bubbles.  at the strictly sail show in chicago, i attended a seminar from interlux on applying their perfection two part epoxy paints.  they used a $.50 foam brush to tip it out and claim they get great results.

this method takes some practice which is best done on a pane of glass or mirror.  of course, make sure you remove the paint afterward or the wife becomes quite agitated when she can't see out her "jade green" jeep windows. 

i practiced and practiced but could not achieve the results i was looking for.  instead, i purchased a 4" foam roller from ace hardware and after applying the initial coat, gently rolled over it again and again until all the bubbles were gone.
make sure you roll tape sticky side out around your hand and then roll the foam roller across the tape several times to remove any little loose foam or particals.

the hardener comes with the paint. 

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"