a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another 23 with wheel steering...

Started by brackish, February 04, 2011, 04:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

...this one a 23 IV.  In fact the first time I've seen a IV newer than mine on the used market.  I've studied the wheel and certainly have mixed feelings about it.  It seems to me it might take up too much cockpit room and be hard to work around.  On the other hand, I guess a case could be made that the amidships seat over the fuel locker would be useful for something other than a cover.  I would probably have to sail it before I could pass judgement with reasonable objectivity.

http://sailingtexas.com/201101/scompac23115.html

newt

They want 33 K- I guess it might be time to put mine up for sale :)

curtisv

I would not want wheel steering.  You lose the feel of the tiller.  It takes up too much of the cockpit.  Its one more thing to break.  And you don't need the leverage on a small boat.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

You can't beat the simplicity of a tiller. If Lin and Larry Parday can use on to sail the miles they have, I guess it's good enough for me. Why complicate life with cables, or hydraulics when a stick- to- rudder works fine?
$33,178.00...what's with that? I'm glad I found my used but well cared for 23 with trailor and motor for $5k. Otherwise sailing would be out of my reach.
Bob23

curtisv

Isn't $33K more than a new CP23?  Maybe they've gone up.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Not sure but I think the new 23's base price is about 38k.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on February 09, 2011, 03:33:11 AM
Not sure but I think the new 23's base price is about 38k.
Bob23

Before I bought mine, I took the list price sheet for the boat and all the options and accessories that would come with it, some of them aftermarket items and created a list price for the year it was new (2005) and for 2009, the year I was looking at it.  That came out to be just over $40K for 2005 and just under $42.5K for 2009.  The only difference between my boat and the boat in question is that mine does not have wheel steering, cockpit grate, or powerlift on the motor.  Mine had, when I bought it, a few things this boat doesn't have but in total probably not more than $3-400.  So if the boat is $53K replacement, that means the wheel steering with built in motor controls and instruments is probably an $8-9K option at list.  For that, I think I would have gone for a D model and kept the tiller.

Of course, much like cars, one rarely would have to pay list for a boat.  Since I would be a potential future seller and not a buyer, I would hope the seller gets his price or close to it, keeps the value of the boats up.:)