a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

asymmetrical spinnaker

Started by ssullivan, January 24, 2011, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssullivan

any one use an asymmetrical spinnaker on there cp 16 I? im restoring my 16 and i am wanting to get a new set of sails and was wondering if one would bee a good idea

Salty19

Sure, for very light wind days that's what they are designed for. I never ran one on the 16 but will probably get one for the 19 this year or next.

A few others in the past, who I don't see posting here much if at all anymore, have done it with success.

Do a search on spinnaker here for more reading.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

Made a light air nylon Drifter for my Sun Cat. Really made a big difference in light air performance. See Sun Cat Forum Post "attention:Hitchhiker ..."

skip1930

Even at 3/4 ounce, rip stop nylon, this sail needs a bit of wind to fill that large sail.
Generally she's a bit larger then a 155% head sail lapper in sq ft.

Since typically no spinnaker pole is used and this collapsing and filling in light air become a chore to stay on top of.  And it's not a really good sail design for wind directly on the stern. Asymmetrica's sail best when the wind cuts across the bow. Tac to the bow pulpit [putting the sail about mid-ships already] and clew to the stern cleat and hang on in a breeze. It drives the bow into the water. Feels funny. I have a more expensive 'Star-Cut' sail. Uses more material. Only for looks. Note the sock for this sail at the mast head. Came with the Sail-East sail.
skip.