a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tabernacle chewed up my mast foot!

Started by buckaroo, January 24, 2011, 12:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckaroo

Y'all might remember an earlier thread (http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3804.0) where I was considering the purchase of a CP16/3.  Long story short, I bought it, and immediately started messing with it in preparation for this spring.  I'm pleased as punch with the boat, but I did come across a few items I wanted to ask about. First on my list of stuff to get it ready to put back in the water was to rebed the tabernacle, which required cutting the carriage bolt between the tabernacle and the foot of the mast, as two years of neglect had fused the wingnut to the bolt.  After pulling off the tabernacle, I found that the hard steel had chewed up the aluminum at the foot of the mast.  About 1/32-1/16" deep of metal wore away in a strip about 3/4" across where the tabernacle was in contact with the mast, and the bolt itself had gouged and widened the hole:

The other side looks pretty good. So my question is: Is this anything to worry about?  Can I safely sail with the mast like this?  I'm not really excited about buying a new mast right away, and would like to get a season or two out of it at least before I pony up to replace it. Any ideas on how I might prevent it from getting worse in the future?

Also, the tabernacle itself has a twist in it, such that when I set down as flat as possible, I can slide a nickel under the corner:

I'm wondering whether that's why the mast was worn, but also whether I'll be able to bed it properly since it won't sit flat.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Should I replace it? (And if I should, is it what Hutchins is calling a "mast step" in their parts list? 'Cuz that's what I've been calling the place on the deck where it attaches)

And last, is this carriage bolt original?:

I'm at a loss as to why it was so rusted, if it's such an important part on this boat.  Surely there are bolts that are more resistant to weather?

BobK

Buckaroo,
I would not be over concerned with the wear area on your mast.  It is low and there is not much in the line of twisting forces down there.  Mu guess is that the side stays were so loose that they allowed excessive side to side movement of the mast while under way.   The previous owner used a steel bolt that is why it rusted.  Stainless steel is the only way to go for any hardware that goes on or into a boat.  Your mast step can be flattened with a couple well placed hits with a hammer.  I would spread the ears further apart on the tabernacle.  They do not have to be tight against the mast when it is up, I probably have  1/8  inch space on either side of my mast.

Bobk

kickingbug1

im with bob on this, stainless is the only way to go. given the rust that i see in the pics i would definitly do a thorough inspection of the standing rigging, chainplates and rudder hardware before you sail. these little boats are pretty much overbuilt but like anything else mechanical---neglect is a killer
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

buckaroo

Thanks, y'all. I didn't think it was really anything to worry about. I'd already checked all the other bolts on the boat, and they all looked good with the exception of this one and the one that holds together the pulley at the end of the bowsprit for the anchor rode. The tabernacle is cheap enough I'll probably just replace it rather than trying to hammer it down. The old one is kind of ugly now, anyway, as my hacksaw scratched up the surface and it would take a fair amount of effort to buff it out.

jpfx

I imagine the squared carriage bolt done most of the damage.
check http://www.dwyermast.com/, hutchins will tell you dwyere made the original masts though when I asked dwyer was not aware.
Either way they certainly have the boom fittings and you might find other useful stuff.