a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

North Sails Direct?

Started by wes, January 23, 2011, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

I'm starting to shop for a new set of sails for my 19/3 and was very impressed with North Sails Direct's speed of response (sent quote request on Saturday and got it back complete with drawings on Sunday!) and generally high tech web site/quoting system. This of course doesn't guarantee the quality of the product. The price seems very good (around $800 for main and furling genoa). I understand from previous postings that these are made overseas. I'm a lake and coastal sailor and don't plan any ocean crossings. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor?
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

BobK

I purchased a main sail for my 23 from them two years ago and am totally pleased with it.   It was shipped as ordered in the time frame they said it would arrive.  They have my recommendation.

Bob23

BobK:
   Do you remember what weight dacron was used? 6 oz. or otherwise? I think I'm finally gonna pry my wallet open and order a new suit for "Koinonia" my 1985 23/2. Any info on your sails would be helpful.
Thanks, Bob23

BobK

BobK

I had 2 reef points installed and had it thread in the boom.  Since reading about the loose footed mains I no longer thread mine in the boom.  I would recommend purchasing loose footed.

Bob23

BobK:
   Are they able to duplicate the original numbers and logo?

BobK

Bob23,

I did not ask for either.  My sail is plain.  http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy62/bobknapp47/CP23/
This link should bring you to a picture of my boat under sail.

BobK

wes

Bob23 - North told me they can add the CP insignia for a $75 upcharge.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Shawn

Bob,

I think most places will add the insignia and/or sail numbers if desired. Kelly Hanson was $50 for the insignia, JSI was $65. Sail numbers are typically priced per digit.

Shawn

Bob23

Thanks, gents. Me being somewhat of a purist, I need to duplicate the insignia and numbers. I'll give Northsails a call.
Bob23

curtisv

I have a North Sail 110 jib that replace my original.  Very well cut sail.  This was a custom sail since I added sail tracks just aft of the aft lower chainplates and about 3 feet in length.  This is a much better arrangement that bringing the jib sheet way back.  The original tracks are good for a big genoa or for an asymetrical if I ever get some light air sails.

I was very happy with the choice of North Sails.  They were not the cheapest but I'll go back next time I need a sail.  BTW- I used 7 oz. (I think).  That was so the sail would hold up in a blow.  I've tested quite a bit in 25 knots steady and a little in 35 knot gusts and so far so good.  I think I got these in 2002, maybe 2003.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access