a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boom brake???

Started by ssullivan, January 14, 2011, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssullivan

has anyone made there one boom brake? if so how?

bmiller

I haven't but it seems like it would be pretty easy for a small boat like a 16. Use a friction device readily available from any outdoors store, like a figure 8, a carabiner and some line.

ssullivan

thanks thats what i was thinking but i wanted to see if anyone has done it

Bob23

I'm assuming this is the same thing as a boom preventer.
Bob

ssullivan

yeah i think it is ill post pics of what i come up with

bmiller

We're talking two different things here. A "preventer" prevents an accidental dangerous jibe. Which can be deadly.
A brake is a friction device used to allow a controlled jibe. Although sometimes the terms are used interchanged.

Edit to add a couple photos:

Here is a brake. A friction device attached to the boom and the line fixed to hard points abeam. The boom can jibe but it will be slow.

You can do the same thing with a figure eight:

Here is the best I can find right now for a preventer. It keeps the boom from jibing at all:

Bob23

Ah, grasshopper, one picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks, Bill, that really clarifies it for me. I wouldn't think I'd need a brake on my 23. I've gybed intentionally many times with no problems. It helps when you  practice on a Force 5 or a Sunfish. If you screw up a gybe on a Seapearl, you are in the drink so one learns not to do that.
   A preventer, on the other hand, seems like a simple neccesity. When running, I'll pole my jib out with a whisker pole and let the main out on the other side.  A gybe with the boom that far out could be disastrous.
   Thanks again,
Bob23
(ps: Is that brake on Pooka?)

bmiller

Not my boat, just random stuff off the net.

ssullivan

thanks for the pics, i want a brake, im teaching the boss how to sail, and it will make me feel better having something to slow the boom down because i think  accidental gybes are one of most dangerous things that can happen and can brake my nice lil' boat

Timwp

A boom brake looks great for the larger boats. I have a cp16 and I had an experience going wing and wing with very little sailing under my belt where I had an accidental jibe, felt like fun at the time but could have been serious. Anyone have any suggestions on a rig for cp16?

Billy

just run a line from the boom to the pulpit. If you don't have anywhere to attach a line to the boom, you can get a bail (about $5-10) and through bolt it to the boom. then run the line forward to the pulpit. If your mainsail is loose footed you can just tie the line around the boom. If you have a cleat or something further aft (but still forward of the cockpit) you can tie the line there instead of the pulpit.

However, On a 16 unless you are going a long distance it really isn't worth it to set it up and change sides everytime you change your course (or Jibe). I hardly ever sail my boat on a dead run. It is much faster on a broad reach (and safer too!). Plus, when the boat is healing it is actually more stable than when the boat is upright on a run.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-