News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Where is it best to fly the US Flag from a Sun Cat?

Started by johnmcneely, December 29, 2010, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmcneely

I have consulted several sources and am getting conflicting recommendations.

One suggestion is the Peak-of-the-Gaff (apparently only while underway). OK, I think understand where you would attach the top grommet (somewhere associated with the aft end of the gaff. But where and how would you attach the bottom grommet of the flag?

Another suggestion is the Stern Staff, that you would have to install. But, I notice that we already have "poles" holding up the Gallows. Would it look tacky or be inappropriate to attach a flag onto one of the vertical supports of the Gallows (presumably the Starboard one)? Would this restrict the skippers vision toward the Starboard quarter?

Another suggestion is 2/3rds of the way up the Leech of the mains'l. I don't know how well the leech is supported. But wouldn't you have to figure out a way to attach the flag to the sail by making holes for grommets? Wouldn't it have to be a small flag to keep from distorting the leech?

Another suggestion is a halyard up the Starboard shroud. But the Sun Cat has no spreaders to which you could attach such a halyard.

So what are your collective inputs of wisdom on this? The boat is such a classic, it would seem natural to dress it up a little. Thanks for replying.

John

capt_nemo

John,
According to "Chapman...", "...and on gaff-rigged sailboats it is still proper to fly the ensign (U.S. Flag) from the peak of the aftermost gaff" (under sail alone). Assuming you've attached the top of the flag to the end of the gaff, the bottom of the flag is attached to a small grommet you put in the leech of the sail. On flagstaff attached to the Gallows I would be more worried about the swing of the boom than off quarter visibility. The 2/3 up the leech from the clew is only for Marconi-rigged sailboats (under sail alone). Even if you could manage to hoist the U.S. Flag up the starboard shroud you would normally be identifying yourself as a foreign vessel in U.S Waters which flies the U.S. Flag there as a "Courtesy Flag" for the country visited. It is now accepted practice to fly the Flag from a stern staff of a sailboat underway (under sail), and while under power alone, at anchor, or made fast the flag SHOULD BE FLOWN from the stern staff of all sailboats. However, the stern staff Flag should never be displayed while the boat is racing. In summary, the stern staff Flag is appropriate for ALL CONDITIONS  (except racing) and the peak of the gaff position for when under sail alone. If an overhanging boom requires the staff be off-center it should be mounted on the starboard side. Best wishes in however you decide to dress up your classic looking boat.
capt_nemo

johnmcneely

To summarize then, it sounds like the Stern Staff is the best bet for most circumstances (except racing). I will have to experiment with the Starboard Gallows support to see what it looks like serving also as a Stern Staff. I don't have a Sunday Cat yet but hope to in future. The advantage of using the Starboard Gallows support is that it eliminates the need for making more screw holes in the boat. I have even seen skippers clamp a pigstick onto their Stern Ladder to serve as a Stern Staff. As for racing, I could move the flag to the Peak-of-the-Gaff before doing so.   I suppose the Club Burgee and Officer's Pennant can go part-way up one of the side-stays since that part of the Mastendr System that is part of the Forestay probably precludes flying the Club Burgee from a Bow Staff. Thanks again for your reply Capt_Nemo.

John

capt_nemo

John'
Make sure that the flag on the Gallows pole doesn't get caught in the end boom sheeting tackle!

johnmcneely

After the second warning about the possibility of getting the flag caught in the end-boom sheeting tackle, I'm about convinced that the flag is going to fly from the Peak of the Gaff most of the time. I may commit the sin of flying it there while I motor to and from the ramp and while beached between sailings. I'll probably install the stern staff for those periods when the sail is down.

capt_nemo