Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pre-purchase keel repair opinion needed

Started by geopilot, December 12, 2010, 07:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

John:
   I apologize for my snotty tone. Thanks for being concerned enough to post what you did. I was in a "stuffy" mood due some stuff going on around here at the home port. I have a relative who is a real stuff head and she spreads stuff everywhere she goes.
   I let my bad mood portray itself here and I'm sorry.  Again, I apoplogize if I've appeared snotty and rude.
Bob23

newt

I think we all all stressed secondary to the holidays. I apologized too if I came off wrong. We all have differences of opinion on what stuff is worth. Lets keep it friendly.

rip

Quote from: newt on December 23, 2010, 12:38:28 PM
All posts are opinions and if new information is available from the owner we would be happy to add it to the thread. If there has been a miscarrige of justice, please contact a mod and do not try to correct our members (please :)
Oh boy, here I am on the hard on Christmas day, kinda killing a cold winter's day partially by reviewing posts since my last visit. This is a tough one for me because I am an opinionated guy like most of the sailors I read on this forum. And I certainly don't want to garner the wrath of any moderators or administrators. I am listening to really beautiful music which should tone down the words I use(wish I could send it along!).
Basically though, having read this string a few times, I am kinda glad the way the whole thing reads. I am a big believer in transparency. So my trouble with the above quoted advice is that I am not sure any moderator would have made public all the aspects of this situation. And please keep in mind that "correct(ing) our members" is sometimes needed to get to the bottom of issues. Thank you John R. for your explanation of the "patch". I hope that either of the potential buyers will reconsider the boat. And I hope that this forum continues to be a great source of information as well as a wonderful source of sailing comradeship. Best all, and a happy 2011, rip

Bob23

It was a good discussion, all in all.
And a most Merry Christmas to you, rip.
Bob23

curtisv

Quote from: Salty19 on December 13, 2010, 03:10:23 PM
Definitely a boat to pass on.  Ice to the top of the bilge would seem to indicate a decent size leak that doesn't drain.  That ice expanded and probably already cracked the glass.

I think that the reason the sump is angled with the wide part up is so any ice is forced up as it expands.  I had ice in my sump a few times with no damage to the fiberglass.  Sometimes an inch or two of ice in the bottom possibly from condensation, sometimes quite a bit of ice probably due to a leak in the tarp and not closing the companionway all the way.  Any ice will completely destroy an electric bilge pump (it got mine) so best to take that out of the sump before winter.  I have had no evidence of damage to the fiberglass from ice in the sump on my CP23.  The fiberglass seems very thick in the sump area compared to the rest of the hull.  I was a bit worried the first time I saw ice in the sump, but that was years ago and there has been no problem.

No comment from me on the ground plate.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Salty19

Yep, I'm sure a few inches of ice won't do any harm.  The original post, which has since been modified, stated that the ice was at the top of the bilge.  That turned out to not be the case after the fact.  Ice to the top (what is that, 20-22"?) was my cause for concern. That seemed like way too much ice and would be a problem. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603