a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

handrails for cp 16

Started by daryl81, December 10, 2010, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daryl81

I want to be able to take my grand kids on the compac next summer and wanted some extra fall overboard insurance. I also wanted some back support when using a boat cushion to sit on. Putting a stern pulpit on would seriously impede getting to the outboard and might interfere with the main sheet so I decided to copy the hand rails I saw on a Mac 26 at the marina.

i bought some bimini fittings off ebay and some 7/8" aluminum tubing and bent it on a conduit bender for electrical work. New black walnut hatchboards reclaimed from a flooring shipping pallet. Not too bad for homemade and handy !!!!!

RCAN

That is a sleek idea. I wish I was that handy. I will add that one to my long list of improvements I want to make to my old 1976 Com Pac 16.

I noticed from the photo that you are somehow hanging your anchor off the bow. I would find it very useful if you could post a better photo of that and explain how you did that. So far I have not found a convenient way to have the anchor ready for use while sailing and just lay it on a towel as close to the bow rail as I can get it. But its not a good working practice.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

daryl81

I will try to get a pic of my anchor mount tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be moving in. Rain, snow and wind gusts to 50+. If not tomorrow, I will get the pic next week. I used aluminum angle with a hole drilled through the anchor shank. Thanks for the compliments..........

Salty19

Here's another example of a backrest/handrail (my old boat).

Teak cut to fit curve of coaming. Brass spacers to keep an even height with SS rod and alum. bar underneath holding it up. Inlaid barrel nuts for flush 5' genoa track on top.

The metal bars do look a whole lot easier to make and maintain though!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

don l

Bob23

Salty:
  Beautiful work! Man, you even varnish your mast crutch! Do you like your tiller tammer on the bottom? It sure looks better than on top of the tiller, where mine is.
Bob23

capt_nemo

Quote from: Bob23 on December 12, 2010, 04:55:34 AM
Salty:
  Beautiful work! Man, you even varnish your mast crutch! Do you like your tiller tammer on the bottom? It sure looks better than on top of the tiller, where mine is.
Bob23
Bob23,
I also installed a Tiller Tamer on the bottom of my Suncat tiller and like it there -out of the way but still useful.
capt_nemo

mrb

Salty
This is an old subject that came up a couple years ago but may still be of interst to those needing a drip fix.  I see by your photo of your "old boat" that you have or had a hatch drop board like the one I have.  Mine has never leaked even in the heaviest rains Arkansas has offered.  I was thinking if you have close up pictures  of your board and could post it with an explanation of how it works some of the sailors on line now might like to see it.

I would post pictures but lack that technology.

Fair winds

daryl81

RCAN, here are the anchor mount pics finally! I used a piece of double angle aluminum I found at the surplus store to make the stationary attachment point on the bow and drilled through the angles and the anchor to make a quick release pin work

I epoxied 2 pieces of PVC to the rod at the top of the anchor to cushion the attachment to the bow pulpit. I wrap a bungee around it to keep it from moving in transit on the highway.

front view of the mount.

Salty19

MRB--Nothing real special about it.  Just starboard with little "ears" to keep the wasps out and a brass handle to make it easier to lift it out (starboard is fairly heavy compared to wood). Borrowed the idea from posts of christmas past.

No leak problems sitting out in the water the past two years. The boat is now my brothers and he never mentioned any leaks last year.   I like the look of teak instead, but low maintenance and longevity is not bad either.

Bob..after using the Tiller Tamer, I prefer it to be installed in the spare parts box.  Hated the line in the way and it didn't make fine tuning too convienent.  Much prefer an extendable tiller extension resting on the coaming (soon to install the little boxes to keep it tidy) as the 19 is setup. Twist the pole, adjust and twist again. Easy and fast. And yes that is a varnished crutch(es).  Hey if you're going to do something..di it up!

Pic of Island Time's drop board with teak eyebrow and ears.  Didn't do quite a good of a job forming them this time.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

RCAN

daryl81,

Thank you so much for the photos. They give me more ideas on what to do with anchor.

Billy, thanks for the link to West Marine with the anchor hanger they sell.

You guys are a great source as well as incredibly imaginative.

Happy new year to all!

Robert

Billy

RCAN,
no problem. I would highly recomend the anchor mount. $50 is kinda steep but it only takes about 3 minutes to install and works great, the anchor can be taken out easly and put back the same way. no straps, or holes to drill into the boat and looks clean. On my 16 I had some hangers that opened and closed to hold the anchor but they had sharp edges and my jib would get snaged. Before the mount my 19 had two hooks that the anchor sat in. I had to bungee the anchor down. It worked but these boats deserve something better than bungee cords. I HIGHLY recomend this mount!!! After all Christmas only comes once a year!!!
Here is the old hooks I was telling you about, not so good.

and here is the current mount on my boat.

This is what I had on the 16 and I DO NOT recomend these. When they are in the open position (they came open all the time) they would snag on my Jib sail. I gasp so hard I sucked all the air out of the sails and started going backwards!!! Seriously, they did come open one time driving down the road. Luckly I had the chain secured and the anchor stoped about 3' off the ground. And it didn't even hit the bow. Could you imagine how bad that could have gone?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lostandfound.inriodulce.com/images/anchor%2520rail%2520mount.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lostandfound.inriodulce.com/images/&usg=__37OULxiUumqVa_eAb7TR10v4nrU=&h=432&w=432&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=qca6EMkc4dI6GM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Danchor%2Brail%2Bmount%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADFA_enUS393%26biw%3D1895%26bih%3D863%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=499&ei=vsQTTaPiGoL78AbxuZHGDQ&oei=vsQTTaPiGoL78AbxuZHGDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=55&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=94&ty=61