a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tape under rubber bumpers

Started by sawyer, April 06, 2005, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyer

I was scrubbing down my (new to me) 1987 cp16 and decided that it would be easier to clean under them if I just stripped them away.  I loosened the rear nuts and bolts and stripped the whole piece off all the way to the bow without taking the front bolts loose.  It pulled away easily, lots of dirt and leaves fell out, but there seems to be a piece of tape that covers the whole hull and top seam from end to end.  It appears to be some type of fabric underlayment with glue and then a poly type of topping.  It is not in great shape, but I chose not to remove it, maybe someone put it there to keep water out or maybe it is a factory piece put in after the hull pieces are riveted together.  Does anyone have ideas or answers regarding that tape.  Also, it was quite a trick to stretch out the bumper to be able to get the bolt back in (which I stripped and replaced the next day).
We did our shakedown cruise yesterday, what a treat.  The water on the Muskegon river was cold, and mostly open, just a little ice between some of the islands.  The wind was fresh and we heeled a bit sometimes.  This is the most stable boat I have ever had.  I am already planning a North Channel trip this summer on Lake Huron. (I'm geeked).
Replies and ideas appreciated.

Still have not picked a name...   That will come.......                 Doug...

Gil Weiss

I cleaned everything up with alcohol, scraped out and recaulked some dried out areas in the hull/deck joint (use 5200 sealant) and re taped with a white duct tape available at Home Depot. This stuff is supposedly similar or identical to the original tape. Also, make sure all the fastners are snugged up tight. This effort will prevent and/or stop any leakage through the hull/deck joint.

Craig

Gil's right.  It's just white duct tape. Factory says you really don't need it. I redid the hull to deck joint... well, I dug out the dried out sealant and pushed a new bead of 3M 5200 into the joint. I replaced the tape, but with a good bead of sealant the tape is superfluous. The place you need to check for leaks is where the tangs for the shrouds go through the joint. The bedding compound on mine was hard, dried, and brittle, and it leaked badly. Easy fix.

Craig

sawyer

Thanks for responses, I have heard of the 5200 sealant, and is that avail at Home Depot also???  I have not had a rail in the water (yet)and have had the boat well covered during rain, I'll get the tape and the sealant and do both sides.    I will check the shroud tangs closely too, however there doesn't seem to be any water damage or markings inside, just a little loose ceiling cover up where the anchor rope comes thru the deck........                       What a great boat!!!
Doug

Craig

I believe 3M 5200 is a marine application sealant, so that means a boat shop of some kind. West Marine carries it in all their stores, but my suspicion is almost any new boat dealer would have it. I doubt you'll find it at Home Depot or Lowes or any place like that.

Craig

dgholmes

Walmart carries it if you have any of those where you are at.

sawyer

We are fortunate to have a Wally-World close to us, if you consider 22miles close at todays gas prices.  We also have a Boaters World within about 45 miles, if nothing else is avail.  Thanks for everyones input..
Doug

frjeff

I am contemplating the first project on my new (to  me) 1982 CP16. Believe I will attempt to remove and replace the rub rail. It is scuffed and faded and brittle in spots. This would also give me a good look at the duck/hull joint to re-5200 anything needed there.
I have monkeyed with this project on prior boats and it was always a real pain in the ____ to get the rubrail rubber back on.
Thinking it might be no harder to replace with new. Any knowledge on where and what replacement rubrail to purchase?

Thanks.

Craig

Jeff,

The factory is actually pretty good with prices on parts and is very helpful with projects. Email or give them a call.

Craig