a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

fixing the CP23 mast deck?! sunken deck /failed wood/fiberglass backing plate

Started by hockeyfool, November 09, 2010, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

It looks like I'm ready to now remove the deck area at the mast as it has slopped
downward; due to apparent neglect and failure in the inner backing plate/wood .
I've been recommended by Gerry H/ and friends to cleanly cut the fiberglass deck area off right
around the mast plate. This is a rectangular raised section just behind the forward
hatch.
IS THE INNER BACKING PLATE A CURVED/CONVEX PIECE OF WOOD ?

newt

I don't know of anyone except perhaps Gerry who would know or who has even done something like this HF. Post pictures- we all want to know....

BobK

Email Kieth at The Sailboat Company...http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/he...look for the question section and fire away.  He knows the insides of these boats as well as anyone.

BobK

curtisv

Larry Bracken is on the Yahoo Compac list.  Larry did this work on an older CP23.

It seems that the older CP23s had wood under the mast step.  If water got in over time it could turn the wood to mush and then the cabin top under the mast would go concave and collect water and make it worse.

The newer CP23s have a waterproof structural material which I think is resin and microballoons or somthing like that.

I don't know what year the change was made.

If you end up doing this job it involves removing the mushy wood, replacing it with something, setting it in place with resin, and then replacing the top gellcoat.  You can try to contact Larry on the Yahoo Compac list.

My CP23 is 2001 and has a developed a long crack in the gelcoat just forward of the mast step so I may have to do a repair in the same area over the winter.  So even the newer CP23s are not immune.  Given the windy area where I sail and the open water, my CP23 is probably less "gently used" than most.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

scott pickard

I have repaired the mast area on my 23, It is a piece plywood made of fir.  I cut the top off of the deck and removed it, it just lifted right out.  I replaced with G20 board.  G20 can be drilled and tapped for deck hardware without ever going bad.   I cut the the g20 to fit and then filled around the board with epoxy and put the deck piece back on and glassed and epoxyed it.  This began a complete restoration of the boat which included awlgrip paint on the top sides and deck, new found metal stainless5x8 port lights, new rub rail, all new stainless deck hardware, replaced teak and added more teak, new sails from Doyle, new canvas work for interior and exterior, new Garmin 541s interlinked to Raymarine autopilot, LED lighting, Icom VHF with wireless remote, rebuild inboard M12 engine, repainted interior, vanished interior teak, added new stainless Anderson selftailing winches, 4:1 boom vang with Boom Kicker, Lewmar dual clutches for port and starboard, lewmar deck organizers, single line reefing, lazy jacks, standing and running  rigging, CDI roller furling, and rewired the electrical system. The boat was formally know as Epiphany, I bought it in Oriental, N.C. From Greg Cowan the boat was in average condition and the broker from Bow to Stern Yachts missed represented the boat, when i came back to pick the boat up to bring back to Savannah,the owner had striped it of  it's electrics.The owner of the boat before Greg was the creator of this website. Please come check out the restoration process of the boat, it is now complete and she is called Good Will named after my son. www.pickardadventures.blogspot.com

Bob23

Well, Scotty: you may get the award for the "Most reworked 23 on the site". I live my Andersen 12st winches... they look and work great and make life a bit easier.
I guess the interior is much brighter with the ss 5x8 lights, eh? You don't happen to have any of the original bronzes lying around, do you?
A very nice restoration, congrats!
Bob23

brackish

Scotty, very nice!  Looks like a brand new boat.  Like the teak coaming caps.  Did you make and add or were they there?

One of the relatively rare D models.  What year is it?

HideAway

HideAway has a custom mast step made of aluminum.  It covers the entire area with 1/4 inch al.  There is a solid wall in front and the rear has the holes you see in the photo below.  I don t know who made it but it sure is handy.  The guys at Compac may remember the boat - its hull #2.  I think it was built eary on in HideAways life because the indentation it covers is only about 1/8 inch.

SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

scott pickard

The boat was formally know as Epiphany, I bought it in Oriental, N.C. From Greg Cowan the boat was in average condition and the broker from Bow to Stern Yachts missed represented the boat, when i came back to pick the boat up to bring back to Savannah,the owner had striped it of  it's electrics.The owner of the boat before Greg was the creator of this website. Please come check out the restoration process of the boat, it is now complete and she is called Good Will named after my son. www.pickardadventures.blogspot.com

scott pickard

I ordered the coaming caps from Com Pac.  The boat is 1979 model, in 1985 it had the diesel added.  It was the first 23D, test bed for the 23D.  That is why I thought she should be restored. The idea came from the owner of The Sailboat Company which is located in North Carolina and he has been a dealer of Com Pacs since the beginning.  He put the M12 in it from a new Com Pac 27.    It was also brought up to Mark II standards.  So, the boat is on it's third set of port lights.  I sold the oval set a few months ago.

Shawn

Not sure if you have seen it before but I believe your boat has had a previous website too...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040730105823/http://www.liquid-epiphany.com/

Shawn