a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Step Help-C16

Started by David, October 27, 2010, 03:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I tried setting up the mast per instructions in the manual.  After two attempts and the mast jumping out and scratching my hand scrubbed deck I said no more.  I man handled the mast to the upright position and just dropped it in the mast step.  Several days later, I saw a boat on the post and looked more clearly at it.  My mast step is different.  Upon close inspection, I can see where it looks like it was cut and a file taken to the cut to polish it off.

Question, see photographs attached.  The previous owner sailed the boat with the current mast step I can only suppose.  As I am the 4-5 owner, I can suppose someone else cut the step.  Do you'll think it will hurt to sail as is w/o causing any damage.  See stress cracks in photo.  There are some on the other side of step also.   The mast should in theory not jump out of the shortened step, but I am just wondering about to loss in vertical support that I should have. 

Billy

INTERESTING.....
I would be careful. One thing to consider is when taking the mast down, that it does not pop up and out of the tabernacle. Just make sure you have the through bolt tight. once it is up and you are sailling it shouldn't ba a problem.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Does that look like a stock mast foot? I don't know what the 16 uses but my 23 does not have bolts through it. I think my 23's foot just has holes for the mast bolt but I couldn't swear to it.
  I don't like those stress cracks although the 16 uses a compression post down below, doesn't it? Give the entire standing rigging a thorough inspection. When the wind picks up. it's a little too late to fix anything.
Bob23
(ps: I just checked and my mast foot has slots but they are closed at the top...no way for the mast to pop out while raising or lowering it.)

David

Billy,  You said to make sure the mast bolt was tight.  I was under the assumption, that the bolt was suppose to just be tight enough so that it would slip in and out of the slots in the Tabernacle all the time.   Am I suppose to tighten it after getting mast up, and if so, just tight enough to be snug or so that the sides of the Tabernacle bend toward the mast some?  Still several weeks away from first sail.  More repairs and practice needed in rigging boat.  Have not run the lines yet. 

Thanks, David

rwdsr

That is not a stock mast foot, and I wouldn't use it.  Although I've never seen the mast come even close to coming up once to mast is stepped, I wouldn't even want to take the chance of that happening.  One way to make a quick simple fix might be to bolt a piece of stainless steel on each side of the step at the top and close in those slots.  Just a thought.  The mast step on my Catalina doesn't look like that either.
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

brackish

Am I suppose to tighten it after getting mast up, and if so, just tight enough to be snug or so that the sides of the Tabernacle bend toward the mast some?

I would not.  I think you are better off putting a couple of nylon spacers in there to hold the shape of the tab and to take up the slack between it and the sides of the mast.  At least that is what I've done.

I think you are right in that it was a stock tab that has been cut off.  I replaced the tab on my 23 which is the same design I believe as the 16 and it was only about $24 from Hutchins.  Mine had been mangled from the PO's mast raising adventures.  

It may work fine as is, but could easily slip out when you are raising or lowering the mast and do some real damage.  A loose shroud could possibly let it pop up and out on a rough tack or jibe.  If it were mine, I'd have to replace it.

Also, from the pictures it looks like the screws that hold it on are hex head rather than flat head countersink.  Does the mast sit on top of the screws?  Doesn't give much contact area.  Or maybe I'm not seeing the picture right.

Nick

my 1979 16 ft, has a mast step the is taller and has a fully enclosed slot.   The mast fits between the flanges and a bolt slides through the slot, through the mast and out the other side.  It can not jump out of the step.  Maybe I am wrong, but that is my set up.

Bob23

Nick:
  You are not wrong...sounds like the factory set-up. It allows us to install the bolt through the step and mast while the mast is still lying on the sternrail. Then the fun of raising begins!
Cheers, and happy sailing!
Bob23
BTW, where do you sail? Well, I just checked. You are a fellow New Jerseyan. I'm down here in the Manahawkin and Barnegat Bays. Maybe next summer we can lure you down for the 3rd annual Tice's Shoals Ron Day Voo. Stay tuned,
Bob23

curtisv

I've never heard of a mast jumping up under sail.  The stays put a lot of downward force on the mast.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Billy

it would be a bad thing if it did happen under sail.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

mrb

David,  someone has cut your Tabernacle as you already suspect.  The worry is not about mast jumping out when mast is standing and shrouds and fore stay is holding it down.  Your concern is raising the mast which can be a real problem for you with those open slots.  Some one mentioned that they bought a new one for 23 dollars or so, if I were you I would look into buying a new one for that price.  Those bolt heads could also add to your trouble when standing mast as I can see them catching bottom of mast as you tilt it up.  The stress cracks are probably in gelcoat and are more cosmedic than structural, if that is the case you can repair them with gelcoat repair. 

Good luck