a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Unresponsive Steering

Started by spachec1, October 22, 2010, 07:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spachec1

Hello fellow CP16 owners. I am a novice and new owner of a 1981 CP16. Although I am far from an experienced sailor I am trying to get out as much as possible to increase my proficiency. One question that I have for my more experienced colleagues relates to the boats handling. I noticed that when tacking and she is coming around the steering with the tiller is unresponsive and the boat struggles to rebound on the turn. It is as if the wind pushes the bow. Has anyone had the same experience and if so, any suggestions on how to overcome this?

newt

Repeat this mantra after me "The keel and the rudder only work when the boat is moving" I need reminding everytime I am in the pond and the rudder isn't working :).
Compacs are not like dingys in that they need a little speed to be able to come about. So much so that just before I tack into the wind I fall off the wind briefly to build up more speed. Even more so fighting wave action. Know how to gybe is important ( at least to me) because somedays I just can't come about well, so I have to go the other direction.

lostsailor101

spachec1,

I agree with Newt...you must keep the boat moving through the tack. Follow his advice on falling off a little before hand, to build up the momentum. A new ida sailor rudder will also help... but most importantly time on the tiller to learn how your boat responds...Good luck...Keep the wind in your sails and enjoy.

Bob23

I like to backwind the jib halfway through the tack...helps to bring the bow around a bit faster. Niether the 16 or 23 are super-quick tackers and they do need some speed. I never touch my main sheet when tacking; I just leave it where it is and it provides a bit of power through the tack.
   Enjoy your 16! A very forgiving boat and you can learn so much about sailboat handling from that boat. BTW, what's her name?
Bob23

spachec1

Thanks for all the great feedback. Took the boat out today and followed the advice given. Amazing what happens when the boat is moving. Everything worked perfectly. As for a name, we are still working on one. The kids have their own preferences but I kinda like "Fore Sail"

newt

Your a good man for the humility in your post. It took me at least a year to listen to others in order to improve my sailing. Now work on "man overboard" skills and getting everyone of those kids in life jackets!
Here's a good exercise: If you fall overboard, can your kids come back and get you?

GlennB724

One of the most overlooked things about "man overboard" is what is the FIRST thing to be done in a M.O.B. situation???  I recently asked my wife, who has been sailing with me for more years than I care to admit, and who has suffered many of my unannounced M.O.B. drills over the years, "what would you do if I went over RIGHT NOW???".  Knowing that her answer would be "graded" on a very strict scale, she thought for a moment; then replied:  "let the sheets fly, drop the sails, start the motor and come back for you."  WRONG ANSWER... I told her the things she said were the right procedure, (given the current conditions at that moment), but she forgot the FIRST (and most important) thing to do.... throw overboard every thing that would float and that was within easy reach, including all the cockpit floatation cushions, etc, etc.   

The obvious reason being to give me something to keep me afloat.  (Even strong swimmers like myself can easily get fatigued, or cold, or both.)  The second reason being that it can help locate a person overboard, who can be VERY hard to see, by creating almost a "trail of bread crumbs".

We had a tragedy on our little lake this season where a young child went overboard, father instinctively immediately went in to rescue, wife was left onboard (I think with another child).  Wife had no idea how to get back to husband, and by time help arrived, both husband and child had drowned.   I can't help but wonder if he had taken floatation with him, or it had been thrown over after him, maybe they would both still be with us.  Of course wearing life jackets should be mandatory for young ones, and is a good idea for everyone.  I must admit, though, I only wear my inflatable pfd belt pack when I am single handling. 

Caboose

I quote the post above:
"Of course wearing life jackets should be mandatory for young ones, and is a good idea for everyone."

I was under the impression that all children under the age of 13 are required to wear PFD's. They are not required if down below inside the cabin. This law may not be required if the waters are not under USCG regulations (such as a small inland lake). It would seem wise for the states to impose this rule. A boat can be replaced, a loved one can't.

newt

Looks like I touched a nerve! Lets start a new thread on what should be basics for beginning sailors-I will call it "Tips for beginning Sailors" and put it in the Sailors Lounge.

don l

"The keel and the rudder only work when the boat is moving:, This is a hard lesson,  that I seem doom to keep learning.   Gybe,  sometimes it is just Sooooooooooo much easyer.
The wife and I, in small ponds in Colorado, with our compac 16. 

love the changing winds
cajun

newt

CC- the wind changes is what makes rocky mountain sailors so good :)

Salty19

Before I had a foiled rudder and had worn out sails (on a CP16), jibing was an everyday occurence when the wind was light.  Allowing the headsail to backwind prior to letting go of the sheet helped a lot, but would not always work.  New sails and moving weight forward helped even more (more speed and better balance).  Ultimately though the foiled rudder is probably what you're looking for. It will tack much quicker and with *authority* when needed. 

I have never been forced to jibe with the foiled rudder despite the wind or boat speed.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

newt

That is encouraging Salty. Building mine this winter....

spachec1

I am intentionally teaching my kids the different aspects of the sail boat, steering, sails, etc. They rotate through stations to so that each can have a sense of how to sail the boat. I will incorporate MOB drills as part of our trips to instill a sense of action that is second nature.

Bob23

Your'e a wise man, Spach, and are off to a good start. Your kids will grow to appreciate sailing for the fine sport that it is.
   Regularly, I'll practice COB drills. (Cushion Over Board) I'll throw a boat cushion over and turn around to get it. Considering that I'm a cheap skate who would rather find a used cushion on the beach rather than buy one, I'm motivated to get it. Also, if I see trash in the water, I'll turn to retrieve it.
   I do have to disagree with Glenn's method of getting the boat back to the over-boarder. Even though many books discourage this, my father-in-law has taught me to gybe the boat changing tacks and that will help put you in a good position to reach the ober-boarder. Of course, it's not that simple and one must consider the wind speed, point of sail, and be very familiar with the boat and making a manuvuer of this kind. I've tried it and it works well. So does coming about. If a current were involved, the time it takes to dropsails, start the motor and turn around all while keeping an eye on the person, they could be quite far from the boat. If the sails are moving the boat before he goes over, why not use that power to come up to him? Of course, any way to get to the person as quickly as possible is the right way. And Glenn is totally correct in saying throw something that floats immediately, preferably tied off to the boat.

Bob23