a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bilge pump not getting all of the water out

Started by NateD, October 18, 2010, 09:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I just purchased a 23/3, moving up from a 16/1. I picked the boat up in SC and brought it back to MN and I am preparing it for a long winter. There is some black liquid down in the bilge (about 1 half inch), but the manual bilge pump won't suck it out. I added a half-gallon of water and pumped to verify the pump was working, but it won't get the last of the water out of there. Is this normal? Does the pump intake hose need to be fully submerged to work?

I've sponged out the remaining water, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not. Since she will be riding on a mooring next spring I plan to install an automatic electric pump in the bilge before we launch.

bob lamb

Nate
 Welcome to the world of a great little ship (CP23).  My bilge keeps about the same amount in it.   I have cleaned it out/dried it out, but, alas, the water keeps coming back.  So now I "worry not" about it.  I have a diesel in my boat and think some of the black coloration could be coming from a little oil???

Enjoy the Journey
BobL
CP 23d Pilot house
"B'lest B'yond B'lief"

newt

Wow Bob- yours is the first little 23 pilot house I have ever seen. Can you sail with it? How do you like it?

NateD

I wanted to get the water out before we get a hard freeze here in MN (we've already had some frost). I don't know if it would do any damage for sure, but figured it was best to get all of the water out of there.

Quote from: bob lamb on October 18, 2010, 04:37:24 PM
Nate
 Welcome to the world of a great little ship (CP23).  My bilge keeps about the same amount in it.   I have cleaned it out/dried it out, but, alas, the water keeps coming back.  So now I "worry not" about it.  I have a diesel in my boat and think some of the black coloration could be coming from a little oil???

Enjoy the Journey
BobL
CP 23d Pilot house
"B'lest B'yond B'lief"

Bob23

Nate:
   I had the same problem with my 23. When I would stop pumping, all the water remaining in the hose would rush back to it's former home- the bilge.
   I installed a check valve just after the pump outlet and that stopped most of it although, by design, it won't remove every drop. I also have an electric pump but the manual one removes more water. The whole pump shootin' match gets winterized every year by pouring antifreeze in the bilge and pumping it out. I sponge that last little bit out in the fall.
   I've never seen a completely dry bilge but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything!
Bob23

bob lamb

You guys in the "freeze zones" have more to worry about than us in the mid-Atlantic region.  As for me, I've just put my house on the market and hoping to return to Florida (Gulf Coast) and spend my days sailing year round~

BobL
Raleigh, NC

Newt: I sent you a pm with some info and a few pics

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad55/BobL68/

Bob23

I need winter to do all the maintenance and upgrades that I blow off doing in the summer. If I sailed all year round, the boat would be a wreck! Winter is teak varnishing time and it sure pays off in the spring when the reflection of the sun on my teak can be seen from space!
   I may journey south for a bit this November. Our daughter is moving to Punta Gorda so we may drop down for a vist. If I do, I wouldn't mind meeting any of you southern Compac-ers so I'll put the word out before we go.
Bob23
"Keep the stick pointing up!"