News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interior Wood Trim - Clear cost or natural teak?

Started by federalist, October 10, 2010, 11:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

federalist

I just finished replacing the slides for the drop boards and hatch, plus the tiller on my '84 CP16/1 #2125.  Also refinished drop board so all exterior bright work is bright and shiny.  Moving inside the cabin, I have removed the wood trim in preparation for painting and wanted some opinions on whether I should used polyurethane or leave the teak natural.  I have cleaned with alcohol and it looks good.  I wanted to avoid teak oil as it seems to collect dust.  I know this is a minor issue, but thought there may be good arguments one way or the other.

newt

I have Varnished one boat I have and used teak oil on the other one. I seem to like the varnish better. Polyurethane I think is overkill, but I guess you could do it if you never wanted to do it again.

brackish

The previous owner varnished the interior teak on my 23.  I like it fine.  Looks good, sure it will last the life of the boat.

on my previous boat, I left it bare and used Old English furniture oil on the teak.  I liked that fine too.  Looked good, smelled good, had to reapply every couple of years.  Didn't seem to get dusty.

If you decide on poly, you might consider some of the new water based products.  They have come a long way toward eliminating the grain raising and "warming" the tone up a bit.  The benefit is being able to put three or four coats on in a half day.  Always good to sample first, see if you like it.

Not sure there are any wrong moves on the interior.  The great debate is usually what to use on the exterior. 

Bob23

I originally used teak oil on the interior of my 23 and found that it attracted mold and durt faster than a crooked politicain attracts bribes. The following winter I scrubbed all the interior teak with a weak bleach solution, rinsed with water and dried using an electric heater. The next step was one coat of Epifanes satin varnish applied with a brush. 4 years later, it still looks great, has sealed the wood and has produced no mold and is very easy to wipe off. Highly recommended.
   It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Plus the hand-rubbed look adds to the character of the boat, if not the character of the skipper!
    A side note: On the exterior it's Flagship varnish exclusively. I like the high gloss and very hard finish. Even though spring and fall maintenance is a must, my 23 is worth it!
Bob23