a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 for Sale

Started by carry-on, September 22, 2010, 03:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Nice looking 1987 CP16 posted on sailingtexas. Boat is at Lex Park, MD. Too far for me.                     
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

rsahlender

I went to see this one up close. It was 220+ miles and 4.5 hours south of where I live near Allentown PA.

The seller was a friendly guy and he did let me know about and sent me pics ahead of time of some keel damage that was not visible in the for sale pics. I would post a pic that shows the worst part of the damage but I don't want to join some picture sharing place just so I can reference a pic here and can't seem to find a way to copy and paste pics directly. If anyone wants to see a pic of the damage let me know and I will email a copy. Again the seller was a friendly guy and did not try to hide anything from me so the following is just an example of how pics in for sale ads can be misleading. This is not meant to be any sort of feedback on the seller.

I got a ball park estimate of $1500 to $1800 from a local boat yard to repair the damage. That coupled with the sale price was over what I had hoped to spend on a 16/2 but I went down to see it anyway in case there was enough wiggle room in the selling price to make it worth the effort. Aside from the keel damage the boat was in good shape with the possible exception of the deck which had lots of spots where the tan color faded to white which were also not visible in the for sale pics. I am too new at this to know if this fading was just the kind of oxidation I read about here in this forum and would have cleaned up nicely with a little compounding and polish or not.  However knowing the cost of repair to the keel and not knowing what was involved to get the deck looking at least a uniform color I ended up walking away from the deal and driving 4+ hours back home without a trailered 16/2 following me.

If I were experienced enough at this to do the keel repair myself I am sure it would not have cost nearly as much but in the end it is just as well as I like my "new" 16/3 just fine even though I have not been able to sail it yet.

rsahlender

Here is a pic of the starboard side of the keel which had the worse damage. The port side had lots of cracks but no big seeping cracks as in this example. There was blistering at the water line on both sides as well. Two different boat yards gave be guestimates of $1500 to $1800 for repair.

Salty19

That looks pretty bad.  No question pass on that boat unless you want a fixer upper (and cheap!)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603