News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need a mask raising kit for C-23, where and who sells em' ?

Started by hockeyfool, September 10, 2010, 02:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I need to raise it one-man - I have heard of gin poles and other kits but can I buy one - or have to build it all ?
I need help ; used to do it with  wife on catalina with a telescoping , pintle hanging mast carrier with a roller on the top.
But I  like the idea of something with  winching or ratcheting assistance.

brackish

To my knowledge nobody sells them, although the components for the trailer mounted systems might be available.  You can make your own.  I made a variation of this one, altered for a Compac primarily in the manner the base attaches to the mast step:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html

BTW the Mac pole/brake winch referenced in this article can be purchased from MacGregor.  Fairly reasonable, but the shipping is rather high depending on where you are.  I chose to make my own.  When I tried to purchase the Mac pole, I kind of got the runaround, however learned later that someone important at the company had died and that had a lot to do with my difficulty.  I saved a little but not all that much by making my own.

lostsailor101

Hockeyfool,

You could contact Keith Scott, from The Sailboat Company. He has a vast knowledge base of all things Com-Pac and has made several mast raising systems. I think he has even made a self raising system for a CP23. Even if he isn't local to you he should be able to put you on the right track.

Call Richlands, North Carolina 910-324-4005
Email sailboat at ipass Dot net.
http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/

lostsailor101

Hockeyfool,

I looked over Keiths website and found this information on his CP23 mast raising system:

The project boat has a Mast Tender system, electric and trailer winch mast raising system, a bimini that's taller than the standard 23 and a custom boom gallows. We also have a Sun Cat sail that can replace the Horizon Cat sail if we want to do some lazy sailing. A 23 boom and a Sun Cat gaff makes the transplant easy. The Mast Tender Com-Pac 23 is a portable boat that can go anywhere on a trailer. I just push a button to raise the mast when I get to my destination.

Maybe it will help. Fair winds