a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Bearing Grease

Started by David, September 09, 2010, 09:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Searched the internet and to many opinions.   Searched this site and cannot find grease topic, or do not know how to search successfully.  From actual field experience, does it make any difference whether one uses Marine labeled bearing grease or the standard lithium wheel bearing grease on boat trailer bearings?  Hubs/bearings are off and cleaned and ready to repack.  First launch this month.  Thanks to this site, I plan to use main only the first few times out.  I plan to submerge hubs in salt water, Mississippi Gulf Coast.  My govt. has assured me that the free oil job for gelcoat on boats has expired.  I am not worried about hot hubs sucking in water from the 78 mile trip, as it will take me 1/2 hour to rig and place motor on boat with luck.

So, has anyone had a failure from using the wrong type of grease?  Any other tips I need to know?

Thanks,
David     1980 Compac 16

CaptRon28

I'd use a real marine wheel bearing grease, especially in salt water. These are water insoluble and with a calcium sulfonate base or similar. Lithium won't hold up as well under these conditions. You can even get it at most Walmarts - for about the same price as lithium. Pick up Bearing Buddies or similar too - makes it a lot easier to check and add grease and keep other things out. Depending on how often and long you tow, it should probably be done several times a year. If you're in salt water flush out the wheels and brakes with fresh water afterwards.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

newt

My vote is marine grease. I have used other types- and I always regret it. The bother factor is worth it for me.

David

CaptRon and newt,

Thanks to both of you.
I'm on my way out the door after this for some Marine grease.  Will consider the the Bearing Buddies.

David

brackish

Also vote for marine grease, but have never used other than.  Very little difference, if any in the cost.  I'm getting ready to do my annual repack also.  Have posi-lube axles so during the year just top off the hubs after each immersion. 

Where are you coming from to the Coast?  My original plan after BEER was to sail or tow over to Gulfport and leave my boat there for a couple of months going back and forth to sail the GINS barrier islands.  Oil spill changed my plans.  Planning to permanently move down there, hopefully next year.  I consider it home.

lostsailor101

Buddy bearings and marine grease......Best combination for salt water...

David

Quote from: brackish on September 10, 2010, 09:36:23 AM
Where are you coming from to the Coast?  My original plan after BEER was to sail or tow over to Gulfport and leave my boat there for a couple of months going back and forth to sail the GINS barrier islands.  Oil spill changed my plans.  Planning to permanently move down there, hopefully next year.  I consider it home.

Hattiesburg. 
Purchased boat last Novemer and it needed some work.  Started on it after weather warmed some, only to come to a complete stop almost after oil spill and medical problems in family.   Getting ready now that most of spill is gone.  Almost a coast boy. as my grandparents were from the Pass and aunt and uncle from Gulfport.  Spent a lot of time there in the summers.  You can contact me at, davidlarsen9a@ yahoo.com.    From your posts, it sounds like you are around Jackson.

brackish

Quote from: David on September 10, 2010, 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: brackish on September 10, 2010, 09:36:23 AM

Hattiesburg. 
Purchased boat last Novemer and it needed some work.  Started on it after weather warmed some, only to come to a complete stop almost after oil spill and medical problems in family.   Getting ready now that most of spill is gone.  Almost a coast boy. as my grandparents were from the Pass and aunt and uncle from Gulfport.  Spent a lot of time there in the summers.  You can contact me at, davidlarsen9a@ yahoo.com.    From your posts, it sounds like you are around Jackson.

No, Tupelo, but spent a lot of time in Jackson.  Youngest son went to Millsaps.  I went to Southern, lived in Hattiesburg late sixties.  Lived in Biloxi/Gulfport from '59 through '80, so more or less grew up there.

Hey, late spring and fall are the best sailing times down there anyway.

Contact info in profile.  Don't know much about 16's but there are a bunch of folks here who do.