a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard for a CP-16?

Started by bungyjumper, September 07, 2010, 03:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

In the August 2010 Practical Sailor they reviewed the new Yamaha F4 and F6. In their 2003 test they picked the Suzuki SD4 as top for the 4hp range. In the 2010 test they say the new Yamaha F4 is on par with the Suzuki, but the Suzuki can be found for about ~200 cheaper right now. The Suzuki does weigh 5 pounds less than the Yamaha, which would be good. As others have pointed out, it's a relatively light boat and putting a lot of weight on either end will affect handling.

bungyjumper

Quote from: NateD on September 09, 2010, 06:57:18 PM
In the August 2010 Practical Sailor they reviewed the new Yamaha F4 and F6. In their 2003 test they picked the Suzuki SD4 as top for the 4hp range. In the 2010 test they say the new Yamaha F4 is on par with the Suzuki, but the Suzuki can be found for about ~200 cheaper right now. The Suzuki does weigh 5 pounds less than the Yamaha, which would be good. As others have pointed out, it's a relatively light boat and putting a lot of weight on either end will affect handling.

Thanks Nate!
I'm sure glad I found y'all on this site.

lostsailor101

Bungyjumper,

My 4hp Suzuki , only has an internal tank. I purchased this motor a short time before I had to deploy, so I only have
about 4 hours on it. The few times I did get out in the water I ran the engine with the intent of breaking in the motor properly per the
manual. On a full tank of fuel, I believe we motored about 45 mins before we went empty, working the throttle between idol and 1/2 throttle.
The tank size on both motors are about the same.

The Yamaha F4 is a carbureted single-cylinder, with a standard built-in fuel tank basically the same engine, but the Yamaha has an optional
external fuel tank compatibility for extended range.

So if you think you might find yourself in a situation where you have to motor a long ways, I would give the external tank option some consideration,
on whichever type motor you choose.

Just a little more info to consider.

Vic S.

My 6 hp Suzuki weighs 57 lbs, same as the 4hp. I did put the dead battery from our old Oday up front as a counterweight for the motor and passengers. Even with the battery and the 'huge' motor this boat sails much better and faster then our Old Oday 23 in the light winds we've sailed in so far. We were sailing the Oday with its original 36 year old sails which I'm sure is the reason it sailed so poorly.  Frankly for me as long as the boat is moving at all I'm a happy camper. Being on the water in a sailboat is a therapeutic experience for me, I'm not looking to go anywhere other than away form the work and family stresses back on land. 
As to your question the prop only comes out of the water when we are hit by boat wake while I'm up front with the jib. It's funny how boat wake isn't always related to the size of the boat creating it. We've been surprised quite a few times by a smallish fishing boat creating a wake  bigger than the larger ones. In the harbor we also have to deal with wake reflected back from the shore and combining with newly created wake, keeps you on your toes.

B.Hart

Go with a long shaft and a remote fuel tank you won't be sorry.  BILL