a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C23 parts - gelcoat - and sloping deck near maststep

Started by hockeyfool, August 25, 2010, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

Anyone ever ordered the factory gelcoat  and how much  concern is it when the deck surrounding the maststep is slopping down ?

brackish

Quote from: hockeyfool on August 25, 2010, 06:19:25 PM
Anyone ever ordered the factory gelcoat  and how much  concern is it when the deck surrounding the maststep is slopping down ?

What do you mean sloping down?  Do you mean the step is in a depression with all surrounding areas sloping toward it?

newt

hockeyfool- gelcoat is gelcoat and if your experienced in working it you should be able to correct problems. You might have to experiment to get the right tint.  Compression at the maststep is a problem- do you have any pics? ( So we can give our opinion on repairablity?

hockeyfool

I have tried to attach a pic - can't figure it out -- please inform .

Craig Weis

Cool. What exactly does this--> "concern is it when the deck surrounding the maststep is slopping down ?" Mean?
While your re describing this...let me say this about the next question.

Photos must be loaded onto a 'on line' site first. I use Photobucket.
Once loaded onto Photobucket then the image's code can be placed between the winking brackets that you will see when your in the process of composing a message to post.
You get that winking bracket by...
1~Figuring out where in the post you want the image to go.
2~Putting the mouse's cursor at that spot in the verbage.
3~left Clicking the mouse to anchor the winking brackets to come by...
1~Mousing to the top of the message box, you see that red, yellow, and black pinwheel icon thingy on the lower left line?
2~Right click the icon to it's right. The yellow beach with black trees and what may look like a small hill. Click on that and that puts the winking cursor in the verbage of the post your working on. Minimize this whole page and bring up Photobucket. Select the image you want.
3~Click on the 'DIRECT IMAGE CODE'. It will show the word 'copied' briefly. Or after clicking on the Direct Image Code, you could go to the top-o-page and click on copy under the Edit pull down menu. Same difference. Sometimes I do both. No never mind.
4~Maximize the page and put that cursor containing the copied code right between the two winking brackets you activated by clicking on the beach icon. Right click paste and that loads the image code in your message.
5~Finish your post. Click post below the message and you will see your picture in your post.

Easy as pie.
Don't worry about the hairline cracks in the gel coat. As we know 'glass doesn't bend, but rather cracks.' Hairlines are caused by the fiberglass woven resign impregnated matt flexing under the so called glass hard gel coat. There is a crack filler liquid that one can squirt into the hairlines but seldom does the color match. And you will still need to work the high spots down with a fine grit automotive polishing compound and lots of elbow grease. Too much work for me. I gave that up years ago. I just compound the crack, the hairline kind of goes away till it comes back. It is what it is.

skip.