Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I need procedure advice for getting my 16 off and on trailer in the backyard

Started by lostsailor101, August 23, 2010, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostsailor101

Hello,

My trailer needs an overhaul. Does anyone know the procedure or have any advice for unloading and loading a CP 16 from the trailer in their back yard. I've seen photo of this on the site but can't seem to locate them.  

Thanks

Goodrun

The best thing to do is to find a place to unload your boat into the water and leave it there while you fix the trailer. This will avoid mishaps such as the boat falling over in the yard. This happened to one of my friends when his boat was off the trailer.

Billy

I think Skip could help you best here.
Brace both sides and then let the air out of the tires???? that would be my best guess. but Goodrun is right find a lake nearby. Thats what I do when I work on the trailer.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

NateD

If it is short-term work, then launching it and leaving it tied to a dock/anchored/at a marina for a day or two is probably the easiest way. The two times that I have done significant work on my trailer I have hoisted the boat with come-alongs into the rafters of my garage.

Billy

you are VERY brave Nate. I would not expect the bottom cords of the trusses would hold that much.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

NateD

I did a little reinforcing prior to lifting. I put 2x4s between the truss and the floor to handle the downforce, and place 2x4 between the trusses to help with the lateral forces.Then wrapped the straps around 2 trusses and lifted slowly.

Salty19

Wow, Nate you are brave!  But hey it works! Not something I would risk but if the building structure is strong, should be OK (and nice job with reinforcing!).

I suggest placing into water as others mentioned.  Easy and no worries.

OR if you're working on the trailer yourself, just jack up the boat in two places on the keel, then stabilize with 2x4's to the rubrails.

Then you can remove bunks and such. 

For axle work, just jack up the whole thing and stabilize with 4 jackstands. 

If welding, protect the boat with foil or blankets for protection.  There should be enough room to work; these are small boats.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

TeamSlacker

I unloaded the 16 in the back yard, described in some previous post. It wasn't a big deal, use the tilt feature of the trailer and let it off the back. Only thing different than if you were loading or unloading in the water. Instead of 'dragging' the boat across the lawn onto the trailer. I had the trailer attached to an ATV and had someone slowly pull the trailer ahead as I winched the boat off the trailer, and then putting it back on the trailer had them back the trailer under the boat as I winched. Once it is on the ground, it will balance upright on the keel, or you can tip it to either side. I was able to tip it either way by myself. But you'd want a second person unloading/loading.

lostsailor101

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a couple of months to figure this out. I will let you know how it turns out.