Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need tabernacle measurements

Started by Scott Statz, August 14, 2010, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Statz

Hey, All

I am rebuilding my mast step and need the original location of the tabernacle mast pin.
If someone could please measure from some reference point fore and aft, I would appreciate it.

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/mss-cp23/index

Thanks

MSS

brackish

Are you asking for the location of the hole on the mast?  Or the slot on the tabernacle?

I made a sketch when I was building my mast raising system to determine the amount of "rise" in the slot as the mast is lowered or raised and has to cam over the rear bottom edge.  That total distance is 3/4" approximately.

The step is 4"long and the slot is centered and provides just enough clearance for a 3/8" pivot bolt.  The slot itself starts approximately 3/4" from the bottom and is 3" long.  According to my sketch the pivot bolt hole in the mast is approximately 2" from the inside bottom of the step.  According to my sketch, the pivot bolt hole in the mast is approximately 2-3/4" from the rear edge of the mast.

I say approximate because it is a scaled sketch on 1/4" grid paper and I didn't dimension all the items on there, just placed them.

With regard to the location of the step on the built up section I believe the slot is centered over the centerline of the cabin bulkhead, but that also needs verification.

I'm probably going to the boat this evening and can verify if you tell me what you need.

If you are replacing the step you might consider this as an alternative.  The benefit is that there is no fumbling with a pivot bolt, nut, spacers, washers.  The special shoulder bolt (also from Dwyer) stays in the mast at all times and it just slides into the step.  There is one that fits the 23 mast profile perfectly.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the amount of rise in the vertical part of the slot, but Dywer can verify that for you.  Costs more than the Compac, but if I were replacing, I would go with it.

Scott Statz

Hello Brackish

I like your system. 

If you look at my photobucket page, you'll see the tabernacle that the previous owner had made.

I've trimmed the horizontal base so it is now a little narrower.  I didn't like the cutouts for the halyard standing blocks.
The mast bolt was centered on the built up section and I'm pretty sure that is where is goes.
That is the measurement I'm looking for.
I've thought about moving it forward an inch.
I usually fly a 155% up front and thought that might help with weather helm?

The built up sections had been poorly rebuilt once before.
What a mess.  Then they used house paint.  Looks like crap!

Bob23

MSS:
   Interesting idea but I'm wondering if placing the mast out of center with the shrouds would be a good idea? Sure, it's only an inch but that would place the upper shroud off center. In any event, it probably would reduce weather helm at least theoretically. But there might be better ways to do it. If you haven't already done so, switch from a flat blade rudder to a foil shape. I rebuilt mine last winter and the differenceit made both in reducing weather helm as well as some increase in speed.
   Adding a bowsprit would certainly help. Yeah, the previous owner sure made a mess of your mast step...some people should not work on boats. Your ship looks great.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: MSS on August 14, 2010, 09:30:39 PM
Hello Brackish

I like your system. 

If you look at my photobucket page, you'll see the tabernacle that the previous owner had made.

I've trimmed the horizontal base so it is now a little narrower.  I didn't like the cutouts for the halyard standing blocks.
The mast bolt was centered on the built up section and I'm pretty sure that is where is goes.
That is the measurement I'm looking for.
I've thought about moving it forward an inch.
I usually fly a 155% up front and thought that might help with weather helm?

The built up sections had been poorly rebuilt once before.
What a mess.  Then they used house paint.  Looks like crap!

Didn't get to the boat last night, was supposed to go up for a Marina BBQ but the Admirals back went out so we passed.  You can call Hutchins, they can verify whether the slot is centered in the built up section and dead center over the cabin bulkhead.  They usually respond immediately.

I think Bob23 is right, first step may be to build a NACA foil to reduce weather helm.  My boat relatively new had one from the factory, and I've never experienced the weather helm others complain about.  Just light weather helm that you would want for "helmsman feel".

I didn't install that system but wish I had.  My boat came with a mangled tabernacle which I replaced with a new one from Hutchins.  After that I found the Dwyer step.  Since I'm on a quest to reduce the total time and effort at the ramp for setup or take down, that would have been a good step to take out ten minutes or so each way.

Looks like the PO went the direction of substantial tabernacle.  Mixed opinions on that.  The advice I got was keep that weak so that if you lose a mast laterally during the raising or lowering process the tab bends or pulls out before the mast is damaged.  Cost of repair substantially less.

Is moving forward right?  Thought I read an article about predicting weather helm that used a ratio of the area of the fore triangle to the aft triangle and weather helm was reduced by enlarging the fore.  nothing to do with sail area just the standing rig areas.  Skipper tips I think but maybe I'm remembering it backwards.

House paint?  Boat as good looking as yours deserves better.  Might be time to consider catalyzed polyurethane (Imron, Awlgrip) for the whole topsides.  Tougher and more durable than gelcoat.  You seem to be handy shouldn't be a challenge.  I've done boats and vehicles with the stuff, not hard to apply, just use a good respirator for lung protection stuff is not good for lungs.