a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

holes cut in cabin, and sail stops

Started by Chuck, August 03, 2010, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck

Hi, I am adding a deck through hole for vhf antenna wiring, and also adding a bulkhead compass.  I read somewhere ehere you should clean out the core around the holes and fill them with a thickened .... What I can't remember is if this was resin or epoxy, does anybody have this information?  Also, I noticed that the sailstop installed on the mastlooks like it is in contact with the luff of the mainsail and the threaded bolt part could easily damage the sail if the sail luffs or wind is strong enough to move the luff side to side.  I am considering cutting the bolt off flush with the head of the screw wheel part of it, has anyone noticed this problem and tried this action? Thanks, Chuck

Bob23

I haven't had any problem with the sail stop exposed thread causing chafe. I think I taped it at one time until the tape blew off and I never replaced it. Seems like the wind just generally keeps the sail away from the stop.
   As far as gouging out the core and filling with epoxy or resin, I don't think it matters which. I have epoxy on hand so I used that. But I don't think it's neccesary to remove the core where there is no load like the holes for the wire and compass. That beefing up of the core was more for an installation of a stanchion or something like that...where there is a load.
   I've cut holes in my cabin top for vhf wire installtion, sealed the edges of the cut with 2 coats of epoxy and had no problemos. It is plenty strong up there and removing the core is just gonna complicate the job. I used the same method when I installed my bulhead compass.
   Remember, these are Compacs- built really tough.
Bob23

bmiller

If the deck was cored with something other than the foam on Com-Pacs you should. That would prevent any possible water intrusion into the core.  When I cut the cabin top for a solar fan in the head the thickness and structure of the build was impressive.

brackish

The place where you would normally put a hole for the VHF is the built up section where the mast step is.  It should be right next to the pin connector that supplies power to your mast lighting.  That is a thick section that also goes through 1.5" of wood core, support bridge between the internal bulkheads to support the mast.  I would run some epoxy in that area although a properly sealed cable clam or gland should keep any water out.  

The area where you would normally mount a bulkhead compass is solid glass with no core material.  Optional whether you want to seal that off with anything else but the compass gasket or flange sealant  but won't hurt.  You will know if it ever starts to leak, it will run down between the inside teak veneer and the glass.  There is a space between the two, good for running instrumentation wiring.

With regard to the sail stop, one of my past boats just had a hole drilled adjacent to the slide area with about a thirty degree down angle and a good size cotter pin as a sail stop. Sailed it for 16 years and never lost the pin.  A quick pull out and back in to drop a slide down.  I may do that on mine or through drill it across the slide area and use a quick push pin with a ball detent.  Sail stop takes too long to fool with when trying to get it out and back in.

newt

That sounds like a good solution Brach, I am always loosing my sail stops. I usually have to get my sail off quickly (storm moving in) and it bounces in the water with a merry little "Ha ha- what are you going to do without me!" Splash. Do you have a picture of your installation?

brackish

Quote from: newt on August 04, 2010, 04:08:14 PM
That sounds like a good solution Brach, I am always loosing my sail stops. I usually have to get my sail off quickly (storm moving in) and it bounces in the water with a merry little "Ha ha- what are you going to do without me!" Splash. Do you have a picture of your installation?

No Newt, that setup was on a boat I used to own, a Columbia 8.7.  For a couple of years it was at my marina, but has now moved back to Biloxi, so can't get to it for a picture.  When I install on the 23 I'll snap a shot.  With either the cotter pin or the push pin you can also put a lanyard on it to keep it on board.  Know what you mean about losing those sail stops, I've lost two in the last year at about ten bucks a pop.

there was a thread on the TSBB site a month or so ago about folks that had rigged up slide gates or snap gates as keepers for the sail slides, but I couldn't find it last time I went there.