a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat National Championship Regatta - November 2010

Started by Tom Ray, July 23, 2010, 05:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrb

Tom Ray,   The comment about marine patrol you made in your trials page is right on with what I have experienced from most so called marine safety patroles,  however you look at it they should be responsible for any damage caused by their wake. In my opinion they should have been reported as unsafe boat operators.  Only my opinion.  Next time it may be Mom and Pop in their small fishing dinky. 

Nice write up and photos,  Thanks    mrb

Tom Ray

They were kind of close, but I thought it was more rude than unsafe.

Tom Ray

With less than two weeks to go, I have posted my thoughts on how the Sun Cat Nationals will go:

Sun Cat Nationals Agenda

This is going to be a lot of fun! In addition to a small herd of Sun Cats, we will be joined by a Horizon Cat and a Sanderling for a weekend of racing, pack cruising, and whatever else sailors want to do. :D

brackish

Quote from: Tom Ray on November 03, 2010, 08:20:28 AM
With less than two weeks to go, I have posted my thoughts on how the Sun Cat Nationals will go:

Sun Cat Nationals Agenda

This is going to be a lot of fun! In addition to a small herd of Sun Cats, we will be joined by a Horizon Cat and a Sanderling for a weekend of racing, pack cruising, and whatever else sailors want to do. :D

After reading your update I only have a couple of comments.  I was going to mention that this Tom Scott fellow might not be fully trustworthy in a position of responsibility such as that, however, in the spirit of full disclosure you did mention how the winner may be chosen.:)

Are Charlie and Isy going to be there?  If so, you have to consider the possibility that the lofty weekend agenda might be relegated to a sailing search for the perfect bloody Mary and creme brulee. :)

Sounds like a blast, have a great time, wish I could be there.  On a personal quest for a Boston qualifying time that weekend.  Hamstring, don't fail me now! :)

Tom Ray

Tom Scott is completely trustworthy. I think he has worked for the government his whole life!

Charlie and Isy are coming with the Horizon Cat, and I plan to try to impress them with my Bloody Mary. I could be in for major public humiliation, but it will be funny. The best local restaurant, The Perfect Caper, does an awesome creme brulee. If you're going to enjoy a place like that, plan on $100 a head. It's really great, but not something to do every day!

Bob23

I've been following this thread and just checked out the Sun Cat Nationals website. Mugs? Tote bags? Truckers hats? Man, this is one event not to be missed. Kinda makes we want to trade my 23 in for a Suncat just so I could be there!
One question for Tom: Did you recieve your degree in jib trimming as a rusult of many hours of study or is it just natural intuition? I've never attempted such a daring feat; obviously this is meant for only advanced sailors!
Bob23...stranded in NJ

Tom Ray

LOL! The Sun Cat Nationals Store is just a Cafe Press store. Take any design, like our cute little logo, and you can sell all that stuff with the design on it. They will make and ship 1 or 10,000 or any number you can sell, and we get a small cut of each one. That's why all the stuff is kind of expensive: they don't make us order any minimum number of anything.

So far, Butch bought a golf shirt and Sonja and I, not to be outdone, bought a pair for ourselves. I'm considering a hat. Guess I better order it soon if it is going to get here for the event!

Or maybe I won't get around to it. Which reminds me: to answer your second question, I'm a natural born catboat jib trimmer! :D

Bob23

I am humbled to be in the company of such accomplished skippers! Try as I may, I've never been able to achieve much in the way of jib trimming on a catboat. I've also unsuccesfully attempted trimming the mizzen sail on my CP23...guess I have so much to learn!
   I saw that picture of you trimming the jib: How do you get the stamina to perform such feats? you must be in great physical shape. Do you carbo-load before hand?
Bob23

Tom Ray

Quote from: Tom Ray on November 03, 2010, 07:49:22 PM
Tom Scott is completely trustworthy. I think he has worked for the government his whole life!

For those wondering about this comment, just a joke about Tom's previous job as an Air Force navigator. See here for example. He has since worked in state and county government jobs, and we're lucky to have such a smart, honest employee.

Tom Ray

The Sun Cat Nationals Roster is up! We will have from 6 to 8 Sun Cats plus a Horizon Cat on Charlotte Harbor this weekend! Check the list and let me know if I forgot anyone!

Salty19

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tom Ray

Thanks, Salty! Kickoff party is this evening at 4!

Tom Ray

The Sun Cat Nationals were a lot of fun but we ran out of wind!

For those who missed out, hope you can make it next year, and meanwhile, here are pics and movies:

Sun Cat Nationals Pictures

Sun Cat Nationals Movies

brackish

Quote from: Tom Ray on November 17, 2010, 06:26:25 AM
The Sun Cat Nationals were a lot of fun but we ran out of wind!

For those who missed out, hope you can make it next year, and meanwhile, here are pics and movies:

Sun Cat Nationals Pictures

Sun Cat Nationals Movies

Great stuff, the video commentary is hilarious.  It was good planning on someone's part to make sure there was enough battery life to get the entire race on video.:)

We still need an update on whether there was any progress on the quest for the perfect Bloody Mary and/or Creme Brulee.:)

cavie

As I remember, Charlie found one at the roof top bar at the Wayvern to be one of the the Top three he has found. Other two are in Key West and SC.