a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bimini

Started by cdaxj, July 17, 2010, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaxj

Can anyone help me with what kind, or size of bimini I'd need for Compac 16, 1976 model, and where I might go to get one?
Thanks.
Chad

DaveE

Chad,
I have a very nice one for sale.  Contact me at volantpa@yahoo.com.

jpfx

I bought online from boaters world a few months ago. I haven't fitted it yet so I can't guarantee that it isn't the wrong size and a complete and utter waste of time.
The frame (aluminum) is 6' long  * 36" high * 60-66" wide and I got both a vinyl and canvas top.
Frame was $95, tops were a bit less than $50 ea.
I figure the boom is going to interfere but I've used a topping lift in the past and I'll either use that to raise the boom (not whilst sailing!) or trim down the main beam of the frame a bit.

whitecap

Robert Burgess' "handbook of trailer sailing" tells you how to make one (for a lot less $ then buying a commercial model) and gives the exact dimensions of the parts you need for a compac 16 bimini that folds & rolls up easily, stows easily when you aren't using it & you can leave it up while you sail & even in high winds. the first edition of this book (still available from Compac) has a picture of it, while the 2nd edition has verbal instructions, but no picture.  -good luck

mikew

Chad, I am going to agree with whitecap above, build your own. I built one using the plans in the book mentioned and it works great. I paid about $75
for materials about 10 years ago which consist of white marine vinyl material , 4  3/4" straight aluminum pipes and 6 nylon bimini fittings. The top material
is cut to the inside width of the cockpit and the length about 2 feet shorter than the length of the open cockpit. A cuff is sewn in the front and rear of the top for the tubes. The front tube fits into the front cuff and is tied with short lines to the side shrouds. The angle of the stays prevent it from falling. Another tube fits into the rear cuff and is held by shorter alum. supports on an angle to mid cockpit coaming, where it mounts. The nylon fittings are used to secure these tubes and also to mount the bimini. Two lines come off the rear tube and tie on an angle to the rear cleats to tension the bimini. This top gives plenty of shade, allows clearance for the mainsheet to swing and (stand up at the helm) , and lets the boom swing above to use while sailing. The best part is that it rolls up for storage on the bunks below and sets up in a few minutes. It is a little hard to describe, a picture and drawing from the Handbook helps, if you don't have one, my dimensions:
Finshed top 70"x 56"
Front/ rear tubes both 62"
Side tubes 32"

Mike

robo

Quote from: mikew on July 21, 2010, 07:29:43 PM
Chad, I am going to agree with whitecap above, build your own. I built one using the plans in the book mentioned and it works great. I paid about $75
for materials about 10 years ago which consist of white marine vinyl material , 4  3/4" straight aluminum pipes and 6 nylon bimini fittings. The top material
is cut to the inside width of the cockpit and the length about 2 feet shorter than the length of the open cockpit. A cuff is sewn in the front and rear of the top for the tubes. The front tube fits into the front cuff and is tied with short lines to the side shrouds. The angle of the stays prevent it from falling. Another tube fits into the rear cuff and is held by shorter alum. supports on an angle to mid cockpit coaming, where it mounts. The nylon fittings are used to secure these tubes and also to mount the bimini. Two lines come off the rear tube and tie on an angle to the rear cleats to tension the bimini. This top gives plenty of shade, allows clearance for the mainsheet to swing and (stand up at the helm) , and lets the boom swing above to use while sailing. The best part is that it rolls up for storage on the bunks below and sets up in a few minutes. It is a little hard to describe, a picture and drawing from the Handbook helps, if you don't have one, my dimensions:
Finshed top 70"x 56"
Front/ rear tubes both 62"
Side tubes 32"

Mike

Mike--Do you have any pics of this you could post or e-mail me????

[/qu]