a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

short vs long shaft

Started by DaveE, July 13, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveE

The motor mounting plate to bottom of the cp-16 measures aprox. 16 1/2".  This measurement, according to manufacturers specs. calls for a short shaft (15').  In the archives, it seems, the preference is for a long shaft.   Any  input based upon your experience would be appreciated.
I'm about to replace my tired old Evinrude Mate 2hp with either a Suzuki 2.5hp (it only comes short shaft) or a Honda 2hp which can be either short or long.

nies

I have had both, and as long(no pun intended) as the motor is lowered far enough for the prop to gain purchase and the water pump to work ,it makes no difference, except in a large following sea when the stern is lifted up high enough that that the motor is out of the water, if you are sailing in areas  where this can occur then get the long shaft otherwise don't spend the extra money for long shaft......Phil

Billy

GO WITH THE HONDA!!!! ALWAYS!!!!!

but i would recommend the long shaft. Here is why,

A short shaft will work fine MOST of the time. however, when you go forward to hank on the jib or for someother reason the weight on the bow will lift the stern and the prop will come out of the water. Then the intake cannot draw water and this can ruin the impellar. (Even though the Honda is air cooled). But you do lose power and it can be hard to keep it pointed into the wind.

HONDA HONDA HONDA!!!!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

fafnir

Quote from: Billy on July 13, 2010, 10:49:07 AM
GO WITH THE HONDA!!!! ALWAYS!!!!!

but i would recommend the long shaft. Here is why,

A short shaft will work fine MOST of the time. however, when you go forward to hank on the jib or for someother reason the weight on the bow will lift the stern and the prop will come out of the water. Then the intake cannot draw water and this can ruin the impellar. (Even though the Honda is air cooled). But you do lose power and it can be hard to keep it pointed into the wind.

HONDA HONDA HONDA!!!!

Why would there be an impeller if the motor is air cooled?  The impeller would be part of a water pump which if there is a water pump then something would have to be water cooled right? 

Billy

Yea that was my point. sorry for not being more clear. I was mainly refering to a typ motor not a Honda. However the PROpellar will come out of the water on any short shaft when you go forward and you will lose propulsion.

Craig Weis

Trouble with long shaft is when retracted on the scissors motor mount, the prop still drags in the water behind the transom. And still drags when tilted and locked out at an angle. When sailing along you can here the prop flopping through the wake and water.

My solution was to make a motor mount plate and rehang that using two inch blocks of rubber cut on a band saw, drilled and fastened to the mount in order to move the motor on the mount two inches back and two inches down.

skip.

kickingbug1

honda shmonda---get a short shaft otherwise it might be hard to prop it out of the water while under sail
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

DaveE

I guess that will work but I still wonder how in the world do you get a motor that far back and that heavy and that long to function without loading a fat guy on the bow?

As for the impeller I have read somewhere that there is one of some type on the Honda 2 but I have no idea what the function might be.  (the other tidbit from my sometimes functioning memory, is that it doesn't have to be changed as often as the standard impeller)

DaveE

Billy

Shawn

"As for the impeller I have read somewhere that there is one of some type on the Honda 2 but I have no idea what the function might be."

The current Honda is totally aircooled. The version before that one the engine itself was aircooled but it did pump water into the exhaust to cool and quiet it.

Shawn

elx8407e

I have a 2hp Honda with the long shaft and it works great!!! I can keep the motor mount in the up position and tilt the motor back when I'm sailing and the propeller does not drag in the water. After sitting at the dock for almost a year, the motor started on the second pull.- It's a great motor!!!!

DaveE

I did buy the Honda 2hp long shaft.  After a couple of outings a few notes can be made.
Starts easy, minimal noise very powerful for a 2hp. No worry about running it in or out of the water,
its air cooled. On a CP-16 it bites water in up or down position (which for solo sailors with much
to do is helpful).  It totally clears the water  when it is tilted back in the "up" position.  On the
negative side it doesn't idle worth a damn and  there is no easy adjustment  nor adjustment
instructions. (with so few Honda dealers, taking it  back to where I bought it will  be a pain

All in all I am very happy with this little engine.  Thanx to everyone for your comments.

As to using fat guys to solve problems, I do it all the time.  For instance, my 2 wheel drive pickup sits and spins while trying to pull my power boat up the incline.  Too cheap to buy a 4 wheel drive, i just add my 300 lb+ brother to the tailgate....problem solved!!