a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cam cleats

Started by cdaxj, July 12, 2010, 08:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaxj

I was out on a quick sail yesterday in some fairly heavy winds (at least the heaviest I've sailed); winds at about 12-13, 17-20 gusts.  I've only noticed this one other time, and it was in strong winds also, though not quite as strong.  The issue is that my cam cleats wont hold the jib sheet in place.  It will cinch at a certain angle, but when I take on more wind, it goes out.  Is that normal?  Does it indicate worn out cleats or weakened lines? 

I know that in strong winds it's probably best to keep hold on the sheets, but being a novice and solo sailing, I havent figured out yet how to handle the jib sheet, main sheet and the tiller all at the same time.  In fact, for the most part, I kept the boat on a close reach, even though I kept the main cleated in tight, only adjusting the jib.  I know it wasn't the most efficient sailing, but I was just trying to keep her from flipping over.  It was a fun sail and pretty nerve-racking ;).

Caboose

A clam cleat has great holding power IF the cleat and line are matched for proper size. Too large of a cleat or too small of a line and it will not hold. If your "teeth" are worn and old, it will not hold as pressure increases. Before you spend your hard earned cash, go to West Marine and find the same size cleat that you have now. Then read what size line should be used for that cleat. Now go find the same size line that you have now and see if things match up. The same rules apply for "V" cleats as well. Sometimes the line does get worn down if the same spot is always in the cleat. This is normally a halyard issue.

CaptRon28

The angle that the load end of the line enters the cam is also critical. Get it much above 0 degrees and it could shake itself free. Some cam cleats have optional wedges, fairleads and saddles to help keep the angle of the line nearly flat. It's sometimes difficult to use a cam cleat on a genoa sheet for this reason.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Billy

the sheets are probably too small for the cam-cleat. I would replace which ever is older
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

cdaxj

I'm fairly certain the line is not too small for the cleat.  The line is 5/16 and it takes some effort to feed the line into the guide hole on the cleat.  Once it's in, it's fine, but if anything the line could be smaller. 

jpfx

Manufacturers like harken sell renovations kits for cam cleats so it could well be that the mechanism is worn.
Mine look original and have held up within my comfort zone. They have fairleads and are at the front of the cockpit coaming. With the jib/genoa sheet running outside the halyards the angle hasn't appeared to be excessive. If I had a 155% then I imagine the cleat placement would be too far forward and the sheet could be yanked out. You can buy tracks if you have a 155% genoa from Hutchins (or build your own). Though I'd not want that size in those sort of winds. Luckily the boat came with a furler and I have rolled it completely in when the wind gets up. I should reef the main first but it's roller reefed and the jib is so easy. Handling in my novice hands wasn't impaired.