a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing the mainsheet cam cleat on The Hobbit

Started by robb_black, June 15, 2010, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb_black

For whatever reason, the original cam cleat for the mainsheet started to fail last season (the right side lost its springy-ness) and I decided to replace the cam cleat before I took The Hobbit out this year.

What a pain.

I was able to reach up with one hand through the lazerette into the narrow space between the back of the cockpit and the transom of the boat.  After weaving my hand past the bolts for the motor mount I was able to locate the nuts for the two bolts.  The nuts are very small and there was nothing holding them to the fiberglass (just wishful thinking on my part).  The bolts are too long for a regular socket and I didn't have any deep sockets so I ended up using a socket in a vicegrip.  I was able to work this tool up into that narrow area and get the socket onto the nut.  I used the screwdriver bit on my drill to back out the bolts after realizing that I just couldn't get the leverage with a regular screwdriver with my arm buried to the shoulder in the lazerette.  After several gashes on my hand (from the motor mount bolts) I was finally able to get both the bolts out and replace the broken cam cleat with a shiny new cam cleat.  I had to follow the same process in reverse (more gashes in the hand -- probably left a pint of blood in the lazerette) to install the new cam cleat.  Left the fairlead as is (didn't need replacing).  The cam cleat looks a little out of place -- different color and slightly larger -- but it works fine.  I'll have some pics posted later.

After this agonizing ordeal I took a look at my jib cam cleats.  They are fine, but I dread the day they need replaced.  There appears to be NO access to those nuts/bolts (I have a mid-1980's CP-16).  Knock on wood that they don't need replacing anytime soon.

newt

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat repair. The smaller the boat, the harder things are to get at. And as you noticed, they are not designed to be taken apart once put together.  Only a pint from your bloody hands? You did well...:)