Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fuel consumption

Started by jcatkeson, June 14, 2010, 11:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Shawn-

Nope--I'm not spending any more precious time or money on it.  The Yamaha will be installed real soon. After an intitial break-in at home, I'm confident it will run more smoothly and start easier.  The Tohatsu will be a backup.

Dissappointing, but no worries.

The 3.5 Tohatsu 4 stroke I put on the old 16 was a much different beast.  Very quiet, very smooth and started easily.  It was new and I broke it in properly.  I'm guessing from the sludgy oil found on the 6hp that the oil was never changed.  And it may not have been broken in properly either.  No matter, it's going into the basement for backup.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Caboose

Face the facts. Most sailors use more fuel cutting the grass in a season than in a season of sailing. I think the main thing to worry about is being reliable. I just want the thing to start and stay running when I need it. So, I spend a few extra $$$ and have a trained person give it it's yearly check up. I'd rather have an iron Jenny than an iron paperweight. I pay a sailmaker to make and/or repair sails, even though I could take up sewing and save a few $$$. I've just learned than sometimes you need to open up the wallet and spend a little when it comes to having a boat. Yes, a two cycle may use more fuel, but my four HP Mercury two cycle runs great. I might use a bit more fuel, but we are not talking 100 gallons vs 75 gallons in a season.

Fresh gas!! Use fresh gas and the proper mix (if needed), change the spark plug and keep a spare.

HideAway

On fuel consumption -- I have a  2 stroke 8 hp Evinrude on HideAway -- a 23 --- Running at 4-5 kn it will consume one gallon an hour.   Its done that since the day it was new.   I'd consider a switch to a 4 stroke for improved numbers only because it takes an hour to get into the Gulf if Mexico so its easy to burn two gallons a day even sailing across Boca Ciega Bay.

Can somebody compare a 23 using a 4- stroke?    Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob Condon

I have power boat friends that go through 100 gallons on a weekend.

They like to make comments about getting where they want to get to, when
they want to get there at more than 5 knots...

I tell them that I used 2 gals in the Compac and 7 gals of diesel in the Cape Dory.

The reality is it is a lifestyle and change.

... and I am looking for a bowrider to water ski and raft...

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

brackish

Quote from: HideAway on June 20, 2010, 05:15:03 PM
On fuel consumption -- I have a  2 stroke 8 hp Evinrude on HideAway -- a 23 --- Running at 4-5 kn it will consume one gallon an hour.   Its done that since the day it was new.   I'd consider a switch to a 4 stroke for improved numbers only because it takes an hour to get into the Gulf if Mexico so its easy to burn two gallons a day even sailing across Boca Ciega Bay.

Can somebody compare a 23 using a 4- stroke?    Matt

My Suzuki four stroke 9.9 seems to burn about a half gallon per hour at 5 knots.  Throttle is open about a third or a little less.  Not sure you can get a payback on replacing a good running motor at a gallon a trip. Additionally, I don't like the extra weight and would prefer a lighter motor both for trim purposes and wear and tear on my back when mounting and dismounting for a road trip.  My 23 trims down in the stern when compared to the factory waterline.  I bet an inboard trims perfectly with the tank mounted a little more forward of the outboard fuel locker area.

The 9.9 will eventually end up on a Bateau FS 14 skiff on the woodshop planning board, and a lighter motor will be on the 23.

Shawn

"-- I have a  2 stroke 8 hp Evinrude on HideAway -- a 23 --- Running at 4-5 kn it will consume one gallon an hour. "

My 8hp Johnson was right around there too. The 6hp Tohatsu is rated for 1/2 gallon an hour at WOT. I usually cruise at about 1/2 throttle but haven't checked fuel consumption, it is considerably better then the Johnson was though.

Speaking of the Tohatsu... it must read the forum. When I went to go out yesterday it wouldn't idle. At higher RPM it runs fine.. once I throttle back it stalls out dead. I'm assuming the low speed jet is clogged but haven't opened it up yet to check.

When I launched the week before it ran very well and started right up. I'm wondering if maybe I got a piece of fuel line into the carb from the recently plumbed in racor fuel filter. Will be opening it up to check soon.

Shawn

Salty19

Shawn--lol !   I had the opposite experience just this past weekend. 

I broke-in the new (1998, never started) Yamaha at home.  Nice and smooth!  Couldn't tell how quiet it was as I was using muffs for the water intake.  Went out Sat and Sun, the Nissan (a branded Tohatsu) idled perfectly for the few minutes I used it and didn't let me down at the dock.  It still vibrates quite a bit. 

Must be a jealousy thing.    Sorry about your issue.   If you need help with the carb, read my blurb on how to clean them.  Luckily your motor's carb is a breeze to work on.

Shawn

That does figure doesn't it. Haven't opened the carb yet but glad to hear it is easy to work on.

For the shaking on your engine... any chance you have to much oil in the crankcase? I was doing a little searching and apparently if the Tohatsu's are overfilled it can cause rough running at higher RPMs and other issues.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn

"I was doing a little searching and apparently if the Tohatsu's are overfilled it can cause rough running at higher RPMs and other issues."

Forgot to mention... the other issue is apparently with the wrong prop on the engine for the boat it is in. If it is too high a pitch the engine can't gets up near max RPM/HP and they apparently tend to shake in that situation too. They are supposed to top out at about 6000 RPM but in a few posts I found with the 8" or 9" pitch prop on a heavy sailboat they couldn't get up past about 3800 rpm. Moving to the high thrust 6" pitch prop helped a lot from what I read. I have the 6" pitch prop as part of the Sailpro package but I haven't measured RPM yet.

Shawn

Salty19

Shawn,  You raise a good point..no I have not used a tach on it to see what RPMs it turns.   The prop is the standard one, I *think* it's an 8 pitch.  This is one of the most overlooked things on sailboats and I'm guilty as charged.   And that could well be the issue.

Oil level was correct when launched in early May. But a good idea to check it. 

i guess I'll go over it real good before putting it in the crawspace to await another boat or as a spare in case the Yammie...wait...nope, not going to jinx myself :)  On goes the new Yammie when hauling for the Carlyle Rendezvous in 2 weeks.    I will pay close attention to the prop.  Guess I'll go find a cheap tach to measure rpms...thanks for the reminder.

Shawn

Had a chance to dig into the Tohatsu. The carb was very very clean inside but I opened it up and dunked it in cleaner anyway just in case.

The problem turned out to be too much oil in the crankcase. What was happening is oil was making its way up the PCV hose and back into the carb. From there it was leaning it out to much at low RPM and the oil fouled the plug. Got the oil back to the proper level (watch out for 4 strokes 'making oil' and put a new plug in. Still ran rough for a few minutes (still had some oil in the PCV hose I think) and then it cleared up and was running well again.

Regarding the prop I found a big thread on a cruising forum where a guy was having similar complaints as yours. After a couple of years he ended up trying the 6" pitch and that was the key. The factory 3 blade 6" prop is about $75 but there is an aftermarket 4 blade 5" pitch for about $35 that is supposed to fit.

Shawn

HideAway

My concern about fuel consumption is because some of the places we like to go are remote enough - hard to believe in Tampa Bay area- that you cannot buy gas along the way.  For instance one destination is 6 hours away one way.  We all know we cannot count on good wind all the time so based on forecasted weather we usually take between 8 and 10 gallons of fuel along.   A 6 gal tank and several three gallon tanks filled to 2 gal capacity.   That's is a lot of weight and takes up space not to mention being a floating bomb.   It would make sense to me to convert from something that runs at a gallon an hour to a quarter of that when the time comes to replace Mr E.

The wild card in this is the increased power of the loose footed main may save us a few gallons consumption.  Lets hope  Matt
Largo, Florida

brackish

Shawn said:

I have the 6" pitch prop as part of the Sailpro package but I haven't measured RPM yet.

Shawn, does your sail pro have the 25" shaft?  Can you get it out of the water at full up and tilt on a starboard tack? are  you generally happy with the performance?  Does it have decompression for start?  Fairly easy to start manually?

Yesterday I ordered plans for a Bateau 14' planing skiff to be built stitch and glue, composite.  I think that will be the permanent home for the 9.9 hp four stroke Suzuki 20" shaft motor that is on the 23 and I'm inclined to replace it with a Tohatsu 6HP sail pro.  The Suzuki runs perfectly but it is just too heavy at 104 lbs.  I took a road trip recently where I had to retrieve/launch three times and each time I had to remove that beast for travel.  Forces me to unhook the trailer, back the truck around to the stern, stand in the bed and hope someone comes along who can help me lift it either on or off then re-hook  the trailer.   I can just barely lift it the six inches myself but then my back suffers for a while.  A 60 lb. motor should make all the difference in the world.

Initially I had planned to swap the 9.9 back and forth between the boats, but that is just not practical.

HideAway

We use the main halyard and a harness that holds on to the motor.  It takes two people though - It does save the back  Matt
Largo, Florida

Shawn

Yes, it is the 25" shaft and it will come completely out of the water when the bracket is up and tilted. At max tilt it is almost horizontal. One thing that takes a little getting use to is you have to put it in forward to tilt it. Which means when you lower it and go to start it it is in gear and locks out the recoil starter. After a couple times you will remember to put it in neutral after putting it back down.

Very easy to start manually. Typically it is 2 pulls. The first pull seems like nothing is happening... second pull it purrs to life. This year it has also been starting on the first pull.

I have been very happy with the performance, it has plenty of power to get the 23 to hull speed with power in reserve. It will also idle along very slowly in gear which is great for docking.

The friction adjustment for the steering is on the back of the engine and is a little hard to reach it to adjust it while underway. I get in/out of the slip steering with the engine and then lock it and use the rudder for the rest of the trip in/out of harbor. One really nice thing is the tiller on the Tohatsu is short and doesn't hit the stanchions which is good.

Just don't overfill them with oil... they don't like that. :) Other then last weekend (which was my fault) it has been a flawless runner and I am very happy with that purchase.

Shawn