a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon Yanmar gearbox and prop

Started by CaptRon28, May 28, 2010, 09:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

I'm thinking that the standard 12x12 prop on the 1GM10 Horizon's may not be the best choice for the boat. Does anyone know which gearset Yanmar is putting in the boat - could be either a 2.21 or 2.62 first gear. I asked them, waiting for a response. Mathematically, a prop with a 9 or 10 pitch may work better. Maybe with 3 blades too? I need the gear ratio to figure this out.

Has anyone experimented yet with other props - either pitch, folding, or number of blades, etc. ?
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

CaptRon28

Heard back from Gerry at the factory. Their version of the Yanmar 1GM10 uses the 2.62 first gear. I think I'm going to check out some other props for the boat. I'm thinking maybe 13x10 to replace the 12x12. Wouldn't mind having a 3 blade folder if such a thing exists for a smaller prop.
Ron Marcuse

Bremer Speck

CaptRon28

Wasn't really able to use the boat this year because of the shoulder surgery. Took it out once up in NJ. The boat is sitting there now, I'm in Florida. When we get back in April or so I'll start taking a look at some of the upgrades that I want to do with it. The prop is one of them, and rigging and an electric trolling motor the other (required in a reservoir near my house if I want to launch it there).

Ron Marcuse

Bremer Speck

Interesting. You are in FL with a boat in NJ.
I am in MA with a boat in FL.
Incidentally, Gerry told me that the 1gm something Yanmar is no longer available and he is installing a 12HP x 2 cylinder now, which he considers way over-powered.

CaptRon28

We have a Telstar 28 trimaran down here in Florida. My wife got tired of trailering boats and told me to buy the easy to launch cat boat for NJ. Who am I to argue with her? They started putting in the 2 cylinder Yanmar earlier this year, when the supply of 1GM's ran out. It may be a little overpowered, but it will sure be quieter and smoother than the one-banger.
Ron Marcuse

clandeboye

Quote from: CaptRon28 on May 28, 2010, 09:47:42 AM
I'm thinking that the standard 12x12 prop on the 1GM10 Horizon's may not be the best choice for the boat. Does anyone know which gearset Yanmar is putting in the boat - could be either a 2.21 or 2.62 first gear. I asked them, waiting for a response. Mathematically, a prop with a 9 or 10 pitch may work better. Maybe with 3 blades too? I need the gear ratio to figure this out.

Has anyone experimented yet with other props - either pitch, folding, or number of blades, etc. ?

I have a 2-blade Gori folding prop on my 26 foot cold-molded sloop (not a Com-Pac) and am delighted with the performance of this unit - including in reverse, where it performs exceptionally well.  I would think a folder would add considerably to the performance of a relatively light 20 footer like a Horizon Cat, assuming you can get the diameter and pitch dialed in correctly.  I don't see the need for a 3 blade prop here though - I would think a two blade model would be more efficient and cheaper. 

rwdsr

CPT Ron,

Were you berthed up around Nashville once upon a time?

BobD
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

CaptRon28

Nashville? No - Originally New Jersey and now Florida during the winter, NJ in the summer.
Ron Marcuse