a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lowering/raising mast on the water

Started by Salty19, April 30, 2010, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

My brother, who has never sailed before, came up with an idea to raise and lower the mast easily.

We were messing around with it yesterday and he asked what I thought about a system to lower and raise the mast on the water, to clear a bridge on our lake.

His idea seemed ingenious to me; I couldn't think of why it would not work well.

Here it is, we would both appreciate some input on it as it sounded like a real good idea to me.

The modification consists of two small attachment points (eyes or some way to attach a quick connect)..one located about 4-5 feet up the mast from the base.  The other would be located on the bow deck, close to the vent port.   These would be the anchoring points of an aircraft cable cut to the size needed to connect the two eyes with the mast up.

Basically the steps to lower would be:

1.)Attach aircraft cable to the two points, which provides support for the mast.
2.) Unclip forestay. Let go of forestay.
3.) Walk to the mast, undo the aircraft cable and lower mast by hand.

To raise:

1.) Raise mast by hand in cockpit as usual
2.) Attach aircraft cable to stablize mast (and let go of mast afterwards)
3.) Move to deck and attach forestay
4.) Remove aircraft cable.  Go sail.

Seems like that would solve the problem of trying to hold the mast up, attach the forestay and move around on deck at the same time.  I found that impossible to do as it was too hard to maintain balance on teh moving craft, stablize mast and fiddle with the forestay. And it appears simple to use.

What do you all think before he starts drilling holes?

Note:  He mentioned aircraft cable for the stay.  We know this could be done with a line as well.

What do you all think?

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

kickingbug1

i would say it would work but i dont think you need aircraft cable. a good cordage with hooks should work
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

newt

I regularly  lower the mast on my 23 with two people just using the halyards and the trailer winch. There have been several similar ways described. I would not drill any holes, none are needed. Do a search on the site and look up raising/lowering the mast...
If you have any specific questions...we are all here!

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Craig Weis

I lowered and raised a CP-19 mast while tied to the dock. Looped the spinnaker halyard through the anchor loop and tied it off till the back stay was loose so I could pull the furler pin. Then hung onto the line and let the mast rest on my shoulder while I backed up and down into the cockpit. Walked it up then tied the halyard off. Make sure the line is very long.

Inquiring minds want to know;

"Thanks for the input. We're talking boat on the water and not at dock and single handed. No winch."

"Maybe I don't understand the situation. You are moored or anchored and want to take the mast down by yourself? Skip's way would probably work. Can I ask why?"

When skippy did the take-down and put-up on the CP-19, Wind Rover, she was tied to the dock. But it could be done tided to a mooring ball. The reason was I forgot to center up the tell tail arms under the Davis wind arrow, and had to fiddle with the aerometer speed thingy's electrical connection. This all was done from the dingy in order to reach the end of the mast with out taking the mast out of the tabernacle.

As I shoved the mast up by walking fwd, I'd use a toe to take the slack out of the safety line [halyard] and stand on it when taught. Once standing up lean into the mast and reach down, grab the line and tie it off to something that won't move, or bend. "Ain't no big deal."

skip.

Salty19

Thanks for the input. We're talking boat on the water and not at dock and single handed. No winch.

newt

Maybe I don't understand the situation. You are moored or anchored and want to take the mast down by yourself? Skip's way would probably work. Can I ask why?

brackish

We're in the 16 section, if you're talking 16 or even 19, I have no experience.  My 23 mast is too heavy for me to lift and walk up by myself with the standing rigging, furler, and sail attached.   I built a system to raise and lower the mast single handed.  It works extraordinarily well.  It does require baby stays for lateral support.  Most of the deformed steps I've seen (and mine was one when I bought it, had to be replaced) were as a result of lateral swaying. 

My system required no permanent attachment to the boat except for a bail on the mast.  It can be used on the water, but I would reserve that for calm sea state.   It is a slightly modified version of this.

http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html

NateD

As others have said, using a halyard will work perfectly for what you are talking about. I use the jib halyard.

To lower the mast, attach the jib halyard to the bow pulpit (or anchor cleat or anything else sturdy), tighten the jib halyard, remove the forestay (the jib halyard is now acting as the stay). Go back to the cockpit, put one hand on the mast, un-tie the jib halyard, and let the mast down slowly.

To raise the mast, just step it up (with halyard still attached to something forward), tension the halyard, then cleat the halyard and the mast will stay up by itself while you walk forward to reattach the forestay.

No need to add any pad eyes or mess with a temporary stay.

Salty19

Yep, this is for a 16 and the desire to lower is to go under a bridge to sail another area in the lake. 

I agree the jib halyard should work to hold it up.    Thanks for the tip, I'll pass it along to my brother...question is will he listen or drill holes :)

curtisv

Quote from: Salty19 on May 02, 2010, 12:35:23 AM
Thanks for the input. We're talking boat on the water and not at dock and single handed. No winch.

Salty,

I've lowered and raised a CP23 mast single handed on the water.  Would not want to do that again.

CP16 should be OK.  I use a 4:1 tackle which is enough.  You can get away with less on a CP16, maybe none.

Just use a halyard to the mast head.  More leverage in your favor that way but more line to haul in.

Curtis

btw - didn't recognize your new "island time" image at first.
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access