a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Sun Cat Owner

Started by Seaweed, February 13, 2005, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaweed

I went to the Strictly Sail Show in Chicago on Friday,  came home Friday night the owner of a Sun Cat.  Its a 2004 model and I will she will take possession of me in late April or early May.   :lol:

Last year there was one Compac on Clinton Lake in east central Illinois where I sail.  This year there will be 4.  My Sun Cat, 2 Eclipses, and the 19 that was there last year.  

I joined this group to get all the info on sailing Sun Cats that I can.  I have some experience sailing my 16' lug Ketch but believe me I am still a tyro at sailing.  My main problem is that the ketch requires a crew to sail it and in central Illinois sailing is not a top activity so rounding up a crew is difficult.  Those who can sail prefer to sail their own boats and those who don't sail don't want to. The ease of set up and the idea of only one string to pull on the sun cat at the show convinced me that this is the type of boat that I need to enjoy sailing as I want. Now only one problem remains---

How long till spring? :?

Seaweed (Tom G.)

Windhawk

Hi, Seaweed:

Say, I worked at the Com-Pac booth on Sat & Sun.  I bought a 23 on Saturday, and they let me hang out...  :wink:

Actually, I'm working towards becoming a broker when I retire in a few years.  I'm going to Clearwater to pick up my boat in about 60 days, and will be keeping her on Lake Michigan.  Perhaps, we can go for a sail.  Keep me posted on your progress, and if something comes up to bother you with the purchase let me know, and I'm sure it can be worked out.   These folks are in the business because they love to sail... Heck, just talking about boats is fun!

Craig Weis

Seaweed
I went to school at Illinois State U in Normal about a million years ago. Lived on Lake Bloomington in a rented cottage that came with a row boat and a Senior Dolphin [Sunfish copy]. Had a redheaded friend who lived on a farm in Wappla, Illinois and went to school at ISU. Now she is married and a banker/landlord in Clinton and has some rental stores, I only know this because I ran into her tenants at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago during a buying trip for my wife's friend's store when we lived in Toledo [Sylvania, Ohio]. Really strange.
skip.

Seaweed

Hello
To you Skip, from Illini country.  Right now I'd say you have cold and snow up to your eyeballs.  We just have cold.  Will spring ever come?  

Tom G. (Seaweed)

Craig Weis

Well my boat was pulled out of storage last year on 12-April-2004.
Sat curbside for about 15~20 days before she was floating. We can do better but the ice has to go away first.