a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac 19 wanted

Started by Greene, April 11, 2010, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greene

Mike and B are proud new owners of a very nice 88 CP19.  I just got back with it a couple of hours ago. The boat was just as the owner described it and the pictures were of the right boat.   The sails (main. jib and genny) are still crisp.  The boat was never moored or even anchored overnight.  It is wired for lights etc.  from the factory, but the owner never put a battery in it.  They didn't like being inside a small boat so they didn't use the cabin at all.  It looks like new in there.  The porta potty is still covered in plastic - never used.   The 8 hp Mariner is a mid 90's version and looks nearly new.  

I borrowed my 17 year old son's S-10 High-Rider ZR2 with a 4.3 V6 to tow it home from Detroit.  It tows very nicely which is a pleasant surprise.

To-do list for Mike;
Foil the rudder
Top pin on the rudder is a little loose
Oil the teak hatch runners and the hand holds
Install a 12V battery (What size are you 19er's using?)
Make another tongue mounted motor mount for trailering
Decide on a name (owner never named her)
Go sailing!

To-do List for B;
Make cockpit cushions
Make motor cover
Make spare tire cover
Go sailing!

'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Salty19

Congratulations!   Can't wait to hear about your new adventures in 19 ownership.

As for the battery...I suggest looking into AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries as they last a long time, are spill proof, hold a charge longer, discharge slowly, and normally are maintenance free (except charging).  They do cost more so if that is a concern, think about an automotive deep cycle battery (ie something like an Optima yellow top).

I use a group 24 size (came with the boat) and would not go much bigger than this unless you're planning on some crusing and adding a lot of accessories.  I believe it's a 60amp hour, "marine starting" battery.  Anything more than 40amp hours should be plenty for lights.

Would discourage the older style lead acid batteries, but certainly they will work.  Don't forget the battery box and hold down straps!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Mike & Brenda:
   Mucho congrats on the new ship...sounds great! I know you were gonna foil that rudder. I'm almost done with mine and I'm designing a downhaul line to be used in conjunction with the new rudder. I'll get pictures as I build it and email 'em to you.
   Again, best wishes for many happy hours under sail!
Bob23

Potcake boy

Mike,

I use a group 27 AGM that I got at West Marine.  The battery platform is sized to fit, and you won't need a battery box for the AGM.  I have a 6amp rectifier on my motor, and a small solar panel with regulator which keep the battery fully charged.  I use a depth sounder while underway, and occasionally a GPS (mostly just to impress the neophites).  All my lights are LEDs so not much consumption there.  When I sail alone I frequently use the auto pilot.  My electrical system is virtually maintenance free, I use power as needed and never worry about the battery going flat.

Enjoy your new boat,

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water