a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Question for the sail experts

Started by brackish, March 17, 2010, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Since lately I've been researching sails I've learned many interesting things.  For instance, sails for certain models that are considered high volume are often much less expensive than others.  Many of the sailmakers stock or offer standard pricing for these models.

Catalina 22 is one of these boats.  What I noticed is that a Catalina 22 150% RF genoa is about the same square footage,  luff length, foot and LP as a Compac 23/3 130% RF genoa.  All other things being equal (cloth weight and type, luff foam, UV panels) the stock Catalina 150 often sells for about $225-250 less than the Compac 130.

So would it work to substitute the Catalina 150 and fly it on a Compac 23/3?  Because the J dimension is longer by 14" on the Compac it would tend to rotate the sail slightly bringing the clew down and forward a touch.  The leech is already fairly long on the Catalina 150, but I believe the clew would still be about 24-30"above the deck.  The Luff dimension is perfect at 25', four inches shorter than max luff on my furler.  #6 furler tape is the same.

I could sure use that $225+ on other things.........

newt

Brach, could you get a jib from a Cat 22 and fly it on your boat? I know at least two Cat 22 owners and I think that I would buy a used (very cheap) or borrow one first (cost nothing). I am just conservative that way. The clew being up higher is usually not a problem, but being lower could be...
That being said- what you are doing is right on. The sail does not know or care what boat it is on. It matters how the sail sails...

curtisv

In sizing a sail the sailmaker needs to know the I and J measurement but also needs to know a few other dimensions, one that might be critical here.

There are minor things like how far from the masthead the sail can be hoisted on *your* furler, and how close to the deck the tack can go.  The stock sails just subtract a bit from the luff length to work with just about any further and that's fine.

The key ingredient is how far back the center of your sail track is from the tack.  This determines the sheeting angle.  If you have a seriously wrong sheeting angle, the sail won't set right no matter what you do and you've wasted your money on the sail.

Compac puts the sail track way aft on the CP23.  I'm not sure that Catalina does that, though if they have a 150 it must be quite a ways back.  Still if its 2-3 feet different you've wasted your money and may have to move your sailtrack to get it to work or try to return the sail.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

brackish

CurtisV your sketch is the relevant issue.  For a sail of the same foot dimension it would mount like the green on the Catalina and like the Blue on the Compac.   It would actually move the clew forward and down, moving the genoa car forward on the track.  Keep in mind this would act like a 130 LP on the Compac with the same foot dimension as a Compac 130 has so the track should be fine.  Additionally it would change the angle of the panels to the wind slightly, however, I don't think that matters on a cross cut sail.

Issue would be is the Clew too low for visibility and proper sheeting. 

It's tempting, but I need to research more.  I called one of the sailmakers and asked about it, he said it's done all the time on various boats, didn't know about this specific change,  but then he's trying to sell a sail.  Wish I could find a Cat 22 RF 150 to measure and try.

How precise are these sailmakers?  I gave six of them the same info I=26, J=9.42, Actual measured max luff on my specific CDI FF2 furler is 25'4", and asked for a sail of the same percentage overlap at LP.  I got square footages that ranged from 147 to 165.

sailen69

Is any one coming to Carlyle Lake with a Compac 23?  I could bring a 150 furling jib from my Catalina 22 or take some actual measurements for you if that helps.  I wish I was closer so you could try the sail out on your boat.  I am not a sail expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

brackish

Quote from: sailen69 on March 18, 2010, 11:03:21 PM
Is any one coming to Carlyle Lake with a Compac 23?  I could bring a 150 furling jib from my Catalina 22 or take some actual measurements for you if that helps.  I wish I was closer so you could try the sail out on your boat.  I am not a sail expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

Thanks, but I'll probably make this decision prior to Carlyle Lake and, at this point, I'm a weak maybe for that event.

More than likely I'll get a 135 cut specifically for a Compac 23/IV.  Somebody else might be interested in how it would work though.

newt

Brach- from the looks of it I agree with your decision. They appear to be two different sails, and I think you would constantly have trouble with the lifelines with the Catalina sail.