Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon Cat with diesel

Started by CaptRon28, February 28, 2010, 09:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

I'm looking at a used 2007 Yanmar powered Horizon in 2 days. Some questions -

Which instrument panel does ComPac install - the one with the tachometer, or the one without it. Where do they mount the panel - can't find it in any photo's.

Where to they mount the remote throttle / gear shifter.

Anyone have an idea of how to run the Yanmar when the boat is on the trailer? Assuming the boat looks good, at a minumum I'd get the mast and sail up and run the engine. I may opt to skip a sea trial based on the proximity of a nearby ramp and water. On other diesel boats I've owned, I installed a "T" between the seacock and pump, then ran a garden hose from a 5 gallon bottle of water (or antifreeze) just above that level. A high pressure hose could push water above the exhaust / water mixer back up into the engine, and I doubt if the boat has one of these "T"'s anyway.

How's the access to the water and fuel filters? I know they put them on the low bulkhead behind the motor. Are there removable panels to get to them, and the sea cock and batteries? How is access to the engine itself?

Thanks for any help.

Ron M.
Telstar 28, Horizon Cat ??
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

kobo

Capt Ron,
I have a 2008 Horizon Cat w/ the Yanmar Diesel. I love this boat. The diesel is very powerful. To answer your questions:
1) The instrument panel does have a Tachometer. The panel is located in the cockpit just below the companion way entrance.

2) The throttle and shifter are located in the cockpit on the port side of the cockpit. Mine is just one lever - throttle and shifter combined.

3) I have never ran my diesel while the boat was on the trailer. My dealer said he uses something called "Fake a Lake". I understand it fits over the intake and hooks up to a garden hose. You can go to the following link which is North Carolina Sailboats. They have a question and answer button. Ask the question and they will post their answer in about 12 hours. http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/ They are a Compac distributor.

4) The water and fuel filters are located inside the port seat locker on the right side at the end of the berth. There are panels on either side of the engine. That can be removed after taking out the berth cushions. You can acess the engine from the front and both sides. They make it user friendly. The sea cock is in the same area as the filters, with access through the port side seat locker.

5) The batteries and the battery switch are located inside the starboard cokpit seat locker. They are very easy to access.

If you have further question about a Horizon Cat I will be glad to answer them

Kobo (aka Capt Mike)

CaptRon28

Thanks Mike. I'm looking forward to it. This will be first cat boat that I've sailed or owned, but I've done some time on a gaf rigged schooner. Some of the concepts must be similar. You don't really want to pull these sails toward the centerline.

I've really liked the boat since I first saw it at one of the shows around 2003 or so.  This one seems to be in nice shape, but pictures can be deceiving. I expect to be there on Wednesday and will check it out, maybe a sea trial if the weather in Pensacola is decent and it's close to water. Either way I've got to run the yanmar and set the rig up before I finalize the sale. I assumed it had the tachometer, but wasn't sure.

Ron M
Telstar 28, Horizon Cat (?)
Ron Marcuse

kobo

Capt Ron,

As I have said you will like the way this boat sails and motors. I believe I have mentioned before that I live in Mobile just sixty miles from Pensacola. I don't know how else I can help but I would be glad to do so. I am looking for more Horizon Cat owners to correspond with, and even meet and sail together. These boats are addictive. I hear about alot of Sun Cat owners and they seem to love their boats. I suspect more would own the Horizon Cat but it does cost a bit more. Best of luck to you. Hope it turns out.

Kobo (aka Capt Mike)

CaptRon28

Mike -

Schedule got pushed back a week to 10 days - because of some lost documentation which has to be replaced. I don't want to make an 8 hour drive (each way) twice. I'll let you know when we're coming to the area.

Ron M
Telstar 28 / Horizon ??
Ron Marcuse

gmerrill

i own a legacy am looking to upgrade to a horizon cat with diesal or an eclispe want to be able to some coastal sailing 2-3 day max.
which is the best boat and how much does a horizon cat with diesal cost round about

Glenn Basore

I own a 2006 Eclipse which I bought used (it was one year old).

While looking at Com Pac's at a boat show I was very impress with a new Horizon cat which had a diesel in it.

I don't remember the exact cost but it was really out of my price range.

I was lucky to find my Eclipse which was $12, 000 less than what the owners paid for it.

I really like the Eclipse as a traditional style sail boat.

I sail off the cost of California out of Ventura Marina.

kobo

gmerill,

Regarding the cost of a Horizon Cat with Diesel. You did not say with a trailer but I assume you want one as this is a great trailerable boat. If you call Compac and ask for New Price with Diesel,trailer and msot all other offered features it will be around $50,000. Way too much. I have have seen several used ones for around $25000 to $35,000. The diesel and trailer add a lot to the price but are well worth it. These boats hold their value. I took my time and surfed the web and found a dealer that had a new one he had for a year. I was lucky as it had everything I wanted. I suggest you go to a site www.sailingtexas.com (great used boat site) it's where I found mine. Also one other very good site is Sailboatlistings.com. Take you time, there are not a lot of used Horizon Cats for sale but you can find a few. The disel is well worth the extra money. Let me know if I can help with any other questions. I simply love my Horizon Cat!

Kobo (aka capt Mike)

CaptRon28

Capt Mike -

We expect to be in Pensacola to look at the Horizon next Monday (March 15). The missing documentation (trailer's MCO) should be replaced by then. If everything is OK, we'll be trailering it back to Punta Gorda on Tuesday. Also planning on getting there a day early to visit the Naval Aviation Musuem in Pensacola. Sounds interesting and may as well take advantage of it while we're there.

Ron M
Telstar 28, Horizon Cat (?)
Ron Marcuse

CaptRon28

We're leaving early tomorrow (Saturday) to inspect and sea trial the 2007 Horizon on Monday. Hope to be back Tuesday afternoon with the boat in tow. It sounds and looks good, low hours on the Yanmar, trailer has never been in water, etc., so this may actually happen. Looking forward to it.

Ron M
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power", 2007 Horizon Cat (to be renamed)
Ron Marcuse

kobo

Good luck Capt Ron. As I said before you are going to really enjoy the Horizon Cat. Please let us hear from you after your purchase. I would love to trailer our Horizon "Deja Blue" to Punta Gorda. I have never sailed that area. Maybe you could share your local knowledge. Best of luck to you. I hope we will be welcoming you to the Horizon  Cat family.

Kobo (aka Capt Mike)

CaptRon28

The 2007 Horizon looked very good, test sail was perfect. Boat was loaded with options - everything from the Yanmar to the cockpit teak grating to a full storage cover. I think they checked just about everything on the list when they bought it. Trailer has never seen water - boat was forked lifted into and out of it since day one. The dark red gel coat is in just about perfect condition. The Yanmar has 34 hours on it as well. That's one noisy little beast, but very little, if any, vibration. Some sound/heat insulation could help here.

It's sitting on my driveway now in Punta Gorda. I'll transfer the titles and register both the boat and trailer tomorrow. The 10 hour trip home was a breeze too. Not crazy about the 10 inch wheels and drum brakes, but I suppose they will be OK until some major brake or tire work is needed when I will probaby upgrade to 13 inch and disc brakes. The 4 tires can carry about 6400 pounds and I'd be surprised if the boat and trailer weigh more than 3500. Got to think of a name for it too.

Now I've got to figure out how to rig and sail a gaf rigged cat boat single handed. Looks fairly easy, but I'll wait for some lighter wind to take it out the first time. 15 knots or more could complicate it a drop. Looks like some rain for the next few days as well.

Ron M
2007 Horizon Cat (no name), 2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"
Ron Marcuse

rwdsr

Congratulations, I know you are going to love her!
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

jamato323

Good for you Ron. Hope you have many happy days with her. Sounds like you found what you were looking for.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Potcake boy

Hey Ron and Paul - I am considering a trip to Pelican Bay next week.  Probably one day down, lie at anchor for a day, and return on the third.  Good chance for a raft up.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water