a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ANOTHER QUESTION :TRAILERSAILING

Started by DaveE, February 09, 2010, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveE

I'M HIP HIGH IN SNOW, NO SAILING OF ANYKIND EITHER HARD OR SOFT WATER.  BUT I CAN ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT SAILING.  AND HERE GOES: DUE TO A BIT OF BOAT DOWNSIZING AS WELL AS A NEED FOR CHANGE, THIS WILL BE MY FIRST YEAR AS A TRAILER SAILOR.
I NEED TO KNOW IF A FURLED FORESAIL CAN BE QUICKLY RIGGED TO WITHSTAND THE RIGORS OF BEING TOED BEHIND A VEHICLE.
IF THE SETUP TO ENABLE THIS DOES NOT REQUIRE TOO MUCH FUSSING AROUND, I'LL DIG  AN OLD CDI  FURLER OUT OF MY GARAGE AND HAVE SAILCARE (I LIVE NEARBY) CONVERT MY PRESENT GENNY.  IF NOT, I'LL CONTINUE TO SAIL WITH MULTIPLE FORESAILS.
THANX TO YOUR PIC OF YOUR CP 16 MIKE, I HAVE DECIDED ON THAT TANBARK CRAYOLA COLOR FOR MY MAIN.  GONNA ORDER IT SOON AND MAYBE A MATCHING JIB TOO,  IF I HAVE TO GO THE MULTIPLE SAIL ROUTE.
DaveE

Bob23

Dave:
   Why don't you just remove the jib from the CDI? While I don't trailer much ( I have a 23) to just remove the sail is no problem. Maybe it adds a bit more time in rigging and de-rigging but you eliminate the chance of ruining a perfectly good sail.
   Just my $.02
Bob23- we are in the beginnings of another blizzard right now. I'm getting so desperate to sail I'm thinkin' about using my dingy for a sled! If we only had hills here in southern NJ!

brackish

I NEED TO KNOW IF A FURLED FORESAIL CAN BE QUICKLY RIGGED TO WITHSTAND THE RIGORS OF BEING TOED BEHIND A VEHICLE.

Yes.  You need about a dozen heavy duty velcro cinch straps to make sure it is securely attached to the mast and you need something to support the part that will extend past the mast which includes the furler drum.  I use a four foot piece of pvc pipe cut down the middle to make a half pipe.  You can't leave the drum bobbing around out there without risking a permanent bend or set to the furler extrusion.

kchunk

We leave the headsail on our 23 too. While the the boat spends most of its time in the water, when we do trailer, the headsail stays on the furler. I've lost track of how many miles, but I'm sure it's over 2000 now in two years. Rather than a bunch of straps, we just use a halyard wrapped around the furled sail, barber pole style.

You'll want to be careful that nothing is chafing on the sail, or anything else for that matter. While we haven't damaged a sail, we did have the bimini boot flapping in the breeze once and it chafed a couple little holes in the boot and the bimini top.

Bob Condon

I always remove my sails when I trailer because it protects the sails
and the sails do not get snagged on anything when we raise the mast.

I guess the extra 10 minutes is not a problem for me.

I make my own sails and I know how much time and expense that takes
so 10 minutes is pretty cheap in the overall scheme of things..

Bob
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Bob23

Bob:
   Do you make your sails from scratch or a kit, such as Sailrite?
Bob23

Bob Condon

I built my 150 genoa and main sail from Sailrite. You can work with
them to get what you need. I had purchased the sewing machine (zigzag
from them) and gone from there..

If you are handy with the machine, it is pretty easy. I happen to have an 18 x 28 great
room with a hardwood floor so that gives me enough room to spread everything out.

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Bob23

Bob:
   So as not to hijack this thread, may I email you with more questions concerning your sailmaking adventures? Thanks in advance,
Bob23

kchunk

Bob Condon

Sure... or I could give you my lifes history... just for the fun of it... I can't sail right now
bcondon11@yahoo.com
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Rick Klages

I use a few sail ties to secure my roller furled jib while on the road.  No troubles so far.