a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

03 suncat up for sale

Started by patch, January 03, 2010, 07:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

just bought a flying scot sailboat,anyone interested in my 03 suncat let me know&i will send pictures and listed items that go with boat.

wordnut

tmolik

Quote from: patch on January 03, 2010, 07:56:44 PM
  just bought a flying scot sailboat,anyone interested in my 03 suncat let me know&i will send pictures and listed items that go with boat.
Post it on Com-pac Users Group web site and you will sell it...use google to search
regards
tom

Shawn

Enjoy the Scot, they are great boats. I had one before buying my 23.

Shawn

Craig Weis

My neighbor and local Marine Architect and Marine Surveyor sold off his Flying Scot and bought a 20' Marshall gaff rigged cat boat with a one lung-er diesel inboard. Both are great boats with a good track records.

patch

love my suncat,i had plans to spend winters in florida.as good as the suncat is,its not the right boat for small lake sailing,family obligations preclude my heading south for a few years.at 66 i thought i had clear sailing ahead.parents get old,family takes priority over every thing else.thanks for the info.if i dont sell it,i can keep it,no big deal.

nies

patch , your comment that suncat is not the right boat for small lake sailing interested me, I would have thought it a great boat for small lake sailing, maybe we need to define "small lake".........Phil

CaptRon28

Patch -

I've been looking for an Horizon Cat, but your 03 Sun Cat could work for me as well. Where is the boat?

Ron M.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

patch

small is a relative term,we have many fine days with enough wind for a good sail.but there are many days,that i sit on the docks and watch the scots,windmills,and other boats with jibs sailing.i crew on these boats rather than sit around.we have 120 boats at the club.only 3 catboats.sunday is race day.they time me with a calendar.the suncat has lesser sail area than other 17' catboats.since i will be sailing on this lake only for a while.i flying scot is a better choice,if i want to sail when i can.being retired i could sail when ever i wanted.now it's catch as catch can.our sailing season is from may to Oct.it's not going to kill me to have two boats,i have two motorcycles.had two wives.now none.the boat&lake is in southern NH,edge of manchester NH.

tmolik

Patch...
I don't know how you can be any better than with a Suncat for many reasons...racing is for ego-maniacs, it grabs all the fun...like golfing, no matter what you do it's never good enough...it's time to kick back and relax on a sail...don't let the racers intiminate you...going 1/2 knot more is not woth the aggravation...
tom

Shawn

"...going 1/2 knot more is not woth the aggravation..."

A 'Scot can go much more the 1/2 a knot faster then a SunCat, the Scot is a planning hulls. Ever seen the video of the Flying Scot pulling a water skier?

There is more then one flavor of ice cream...

Shawn

patch

as i stated the suncat is fine,my plans of sailing all year have changed.one minute i was a single,retired guy,with no cares,no worries.then i got sick.missed two years of winter sailing in Florida.09 ma is sick then into a nursing home.then dad gets sick in and out of hospital.home now but needs me to be close by.my sailing will be limited to a few days a week,if that much.why keep a boat that i can't use to it's full potential.may as well sell the suncat,pocket a few dollars and buy a used flying scot and put it on my mooring.use it when i can.as for our racing days.it's more of a laid back day of racing among Friends.if things change in the future,i would still like to sail around Florida and i would purchase a suncat or horizon cat.in a few yrs i will be a candidate for a nursing home.to you younger guys.if there is some thing you want to do,do it fast while you can.

tmolik

Quote from: Shawn on January 10, 2010, 02:09:24 PM
"...going 1/2 knot more is not woth the aggravation..."

A 'Scot can go much more the 1/2 a knot faster then a SunCat, the Scot is a planning hulls. Ever seen the video of the Flying Scot pulling a water skier?

There is more then one flavor of ice cream...

Shawn
Shawn....you got me re: speed...I was right in everything BUT speed !!!
tom

Suncat a Lula

Tom,
Do not understand "ego-maniac" applied to those sailors that enjoy racing, at whatever level.  Even tho Compac sailboats are not regarded as fast boats, it can still be a lot of fun racing, especially in a one-design situation.  It matters not how fast the boat is compared to other sailboats.  Racing your compac suncat against other suncats is the best way to learn the full capability of the boat.  Will be looking for other suncats that would like to enter the inland florida racing this spring.  Wish you and others would join in!  I do agree that the Compac boats are more for cruising and enjoy this aspect of sailing as well.
Brian

tmolik

Brian..

I always want to sail as fast as I can in the direction I want to go....

when and where is Florida inland racing this coming spring/summer/fall?

tom