a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller pilot on a 16?

Started by NateD, January 03, 2010, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I've been contemplating a tiller pilot for my 16, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience using one on a boat this size (or similar)? A tiller tamer seems to work OK for very short periods of time, so long as weight doesn't shift too much (or you set the tamer to compensate for where the weight will be). But I would like something that will hold the course while I move around on the boat, or be able to steer in light winds while I relax. I'm not sure if the budget will allow it this year, but I would like to hear anyone's experience with one.

Can it hold a course even with shifting bodies on the boat? How about in bigger waves (2-4 ft) or powerboat wakes?

BobK

I use a tiller pilot on my 23.  A tiller pilot does not react as fast as you would to rounding up in a gust or rolling following seas but I have found it sufficient in almost all cases.  The better you balance the sails the better it will perform and the less electricity it will require.  I single hand 95% of the time and the tiller pilot allows me to set or lower the sails, go below to get food or drink or otherwise leave the tiller.  It will compensate for weight shifts or movement and most adjust to bigger waves so not to over steer.

Steve Ullrich

Hi Nate... I had occasion to sail with a friend in a Catalina 22 with a tiller pilot engaged.  It did a great job of adjusting to shifting weight and movement around the deck and cabin.  i.e. locking it on a course and moving forward to raise or lower sails or rummaging about the cabin looking for binoculars and life jackets.  It was pretty nice...  You could also take it with you if you move up to a larger boat down the road.  Or you could just save up your money and go in on a partnership with me on a thirty footer on Superior instead.

Quote from: NateD on January 03, 2010, 03:36:36 PM
I've been contemplating a tiller pilot for my 16, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience using one on a boat this size (or similar)? A tiller tamer seems to work OK for very short periods of time, so long as weight doesn't shift too much (or you set the tamer to compensate for where the weight will be). But I would like something that will hold the course while I move around on the boat, or be able to steer in light winds while I relax. I'm not sure if the budget will allow it this year, but I would like to hear anyone's experience with one.

Can it hold a course even with shifting bodies on the boat? How about in bigger waves (2-4 ft) or powerboat wakes?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

adschmid

It was recommended to me mid summer last year on this site to look into rigging up a mainsheet to tiller steering system for the cp16. Apparently others have had some success with this. I have the tiller tamer, as well, and was looking for something cost effective that actually worked well for single-handing. The tiller tamer is just too flimsy/has too much play in it to be effective once you stand up to do anything.

Rigging the tiller to sheet system does not seem difficult, its just a matter of messing around until you get it right. Try searching tiller to sheet steering and you might find what Im talking about. BTW anyone else had success using the main sheet to tiller steering on the cp16?

BobK

I have used the main sheet to the tiller using a bungy cord on the other side of the tiller on my cp16 to offset the force.  This will work if you are going into the wind with 8+ mph wind speed.  The more you fall off or the less wind the less effective the main sheet tiller control becomes.  I single hand 90% of the time and find I need the tiller pilot most in heavy weather to take the sails down.  The main sheet tiller control will not work here.

Craig Weis

You don't have the juice for electrics.
Mechanical may be better.
skip.