a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main sheet traveler

Started by Roger Schwake, January 28, 2005, 09:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Schwake

Our 1989 CP27 has what I would call stop blocks for the main sheet traveler car adjustment. Would like to change over to a control line set up. Anyone out there have any good ideas? All this snow sure is going to make a lot of water to sail on, think spring!

PHOENIXCP27

I ordered a traveler from Garhauer, but have not received it yet.  Once I get it installed and take it for sail, I will let you know how it worked out.  

Joe B

Roger Schwake

I'd like to know how your upgrade comes out. Garhauer had a both at the Chicago Boat Show but I don't remember anything that looked like it would work. We won't be in the water for a few months in this part of the country so no hurry on this end.

thedavo

I have always liked the traveler systems that Harken makes. My experience with them was mostly on a Soveral 33 cruiser/racer which has a pretty good sized main. They are so smooth to operate even under a heavy load!  But, they have a price tag that goes along with the quality. If I buy this C-P 27 that has my eye, the change to a Harken traveler will be one of the first upgrades I will perform.

PHOENIXCP27

I have received and installed the Garhauer traveler this past weekend.  I can not be happier with the quality and ease of operation.  Definately rivals the big buck travelers from Harken or the others.  

Joe B.

Roger Schwake

Do you know what the mechanical advantage is on that traveler. I'm building a traveler with a 3 to 1 advantage. Not sure if that will get the job done?

PHOENIXCP27

Do not quote me on this but I believe if it has four sheaves, it would be a 4 to 1 ratio or maybe 3 to 1.  Been a long time since studying simple machines.  More than enough on a 27 footer.  

Again, I would highly recommend Garhauer.  I just spent nine days down in the Virgin Islands on a Island Packet 44 (Same designer as the CP 27).  The IP was outfitted with all Garhauer hardware that the owner swears by.  The traveler on the main was the same size traveler I installed and there was no problem with operation or load.  Very easy to operate.

Roger Schwake

Thanks for the Quick reply, I don't move that fast. It's aboat a month before we can put our boats in up here. I've gust about finished up  building my traveler, hope it works. Have to find something to do in the winter beside shovel snow.  The information is appreceated.