a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

thinking of getting a suncat

Started by pahillbillybear, December 20, 2009, 02:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pahillbillybear

I'm thinking of getting a Suncat this spring/summer.  I've been looking at boats for a number of years in all models, makes, materials, sizes, keel, centerboard. tiller, wheel, different materials etc, etc, etc.  I like a smaller boat in the 17-20 foot range for single handling and yet its still big enough for a really nice long trip up the coast or a daysail at the local lake.  I have really only considered three models: 19' Potter, 17' Monty, and Suncat.  I like the Potter because I can beach it.  That is the main reason.  One of the guys on the catboat forum on trailersailer said something very logical in that the gel coat would get scratched on the sand when beached.  Well, duh.  Why didn't I think of that.  And of course, the scratching makes for more maintenance and may possibly lesson the boats functionality.  So the Potter gets kicked.  That leaves the Monty and the cat.  The Monty is said to be the finest 15 or 17 footer ever built.  At the same time,  no one on the cat forum has nothing but praise for the Suncat.  Does anyone on this forum have a problem with reliability or customer service.  I've spoken with Gerry a couple of times over the past couple of years and he seems to be a really great guy.  But he has to be or no one will buy his boats.  Well, maybe.  We have a Harley dealer in Charleston, WV that people buy from no matter what but thats another story for another forum.  Anyway, any complaints?  Any comments at all about the Suncats?  I have absolutely NO sailing experience.  Is this a fantastic entry level boat as well as a boat that will grow with me for years to come?  The boat will have no more than four for a daysail and two for a cruise.  I saw a pic of one that was anchored in the Carribean.  So I know they are a boat with heart.    Thanks to all who respond. 

Suncat a Lula

Quote from: pahillbillybear on December 20, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Suncat this spring/summer.  I've been looking at boats for a number of years in all models, makes, materials, sizes, keel, centerboard. tiller, wheel, different materials etc, etc, etc.  I like a smaller boat in the 17-20 foot range for single handling and yet its still big enough for a really nice long trip up the coast or a daysail at the local lake.  I have really only considered three models: 19' Potter, 17' Monty, and Suncat.  I like the Potter because I can beach it.  That is the main reason.  One of the guys on the catboat forum on trailersailer said something very logical in that the gel coat would get scratched on the sand when beached.  Well, duh.  Why didn't I think of that.  And of course, the scratching makes for more maintenance and may possibly lesson the boats functionality.  So the Potter gets kicked.  That leaves the Monty and the cat.  The Monty is said to be the finest 15 or 17 footer ever built.  At the same time,  no one on the cat forum has nothing but praise for the Suncat.  Does anyone on this forum have a problem with reliability or customer service.  I've spoken with Gerry a couple of times over the past couple of years and he seems to be a really great guy.  But he has to be or no one will buy his boats.  Well, maybe.  We have a Harley dealer in Charleston, WV that people buy from no matter what but thats another story for another forum.  Anyway, any complaints?  Any comments at all about the Suncats?  I have absolutely NO sailing experience.  Is this a fantastic entry level boat as well as a boat that will grow with me for years to come?  The boat will have no more than four for a daysail and two for a cruise.  I saw a pic of one that was anchored in the Carribean.  So I know they are a boat with heart.    Thanks to all who respond. 
You will not make a mistake getting a Suncat, either the regular model or the new Sunday Cat.  I own a Suncat 17 here in Florida, plus I have a Compac 19xl in California.  The quality of the boats is what sold me.  They are the most forgiving boats, also.  I have owned a Potter 19, which are also fine boats, except for the very small cockpits and cramped quarters below.  The 17' Suncat has ample quarters and fantastic cockpit space!  If you weren't going to occasionally overnite, choose the Sunday Cat.  Wow, what a cockpit!  Rigging the Suncat or the Sunday Cat for sailing is perhaps the easiest of all.  The "masttender" system is awesome!  If I find I can change the "masttender" to the newer version I will do so, as this appears even better.  Also, the folks at the Compac factory are great;  eager to answer any questions.  Take the tour of their facility in Clearwater if ever down this way.
Brian (COMPACS RULE !!!)

Craig Weis

I fell in love with the Sun Cat the moment I saw a dark blue hull without mast on display at Yacht Works in Sister Bay, Wisconsin.
Boy what a fine boat. And right next to the Sun Cat was a Picnic Cat. That's a fun looking boat as well. My first thought about the Picnic Cat was she need's a cutty to stuff beach stuff into for a day's sail.

This late summer I was walking the docks in Sister Bay and a gentleman in his blue Sun Cat was waiting for his wife to meet up with the boat the following day. She was driving in for Northern Minnesota. So Logan my collie dog, me and this skipper enjoyed a few beers as I sat on his boat. After he got me soused I started to wash and scrub his boat.  He was going to have some kid from the marine do it for $160 bucks!! What can I say, it cost the skipper a few beers. We had a great time shooting the breeze.

skip.

Suncat a Lula

My Suncat is also a dark blue hull.  Great to look at;  a little difficult to maintain.  Requires a lot of waxing.  (Not complaining, tho- keeps me away from television).
Brian

ontarioSuncat

Factory and Gerry are great! He is eager to spend time with you and will work with you on any questions you many have. I like the older mast system as I think the new one with the post crosing the fore deck would get in the way of anchoring. I have day sailed and cruised for up to 3 weeks at a time with no problems. Lots of storage.

CaptRon28

My goal is to find a nice used Horizon for a decent price. Been looking for about 2 years and have seen two in awfull condition here in Forida so I'm thinking about buying new. But I don't really want to spend that kind of money for a "3rd boat" (1st is a Telstar 28, 2nd is a 20 foot SeaDoo Challenger with an EFI Merc jet drive). I'm going up to see Gerry Hutchins in about 3 or 4 weeks when they're about halfway done with a new one.

I may just wind up with a Sun cat instead. The one with the cuddy sort of interests me too. It's going to be a day sailer up in NJ when we're there for the extended summer. It's home port will be my driveway. It's gotta get into and out of the water as fast as possible. The other two boats will then stay in Florida. Don't knock the stink-pot SeaDoo either. Damn thing will do 60 (but not with my wife on it), and lunch at a waterfront restaurant or barrier island beach 20 miles away becomes a half hour drive. Serves a purpose.

The dark colors scare me down here. The sun does a real job on it. But the boat should be in NJ covered up most of the time, so ??

Ron M.
Telstar 28, looking for a Horizon (or maybe Sun?) cat.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

nies

Ron, I have had several boats of color......no matter how good of care you take (wax,wax,wax) they all fade. A white boat with some accent tape will require the least amount of elbow grease.......Phil

CaptRon28

Phil -

A cat boat in dark green or blue looks great when it's in good shape, but keeping it that way is a pain in the ____ down here in Florida (or any other place with a constant strong sun). It absorbs UV and heat like a sponge in or out of the water. The two I saw here were blue and green, and both had turned a milky white after mabye 3 to 4 years. Both were well beyond a buffing out and wax cleanup (I went back to one of them with some compound and wax). Their teak suffered a similar fate as well.

If I buy second hand - it will be what I find. New and I may spring for the green, and about 20 cans/bottles of wax. Living on my driveway in NJ with a good cover over it should really help.

Ron M.
Telstar 28, Compac ????? cat boat
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

jamato323

Ron:
I agree about the need to provide extra protection for darker hulls. My first SunCat (Hull 55) was white with cream topsides. After a long nervous breakdown during which I bought a power boat, I returned to SunCats (Hull 345) last spring and bought a new one with green hull and tanbark sail with tan sail cover and boot stripe. That said, I keep it in the garage or under the car port and make sure it has a protective wax at all times. Seems to be working. Good luck in your search.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

tmolik

Re: purchase of Suncat...

DO IT...unless you like to raise/lower mast with difficulity...and run aground, etc.etc.

I sailed a Person 35 on lake erie for over 20 years, am retired, and this little boat is the greatest..not for weeks but for 1 or 2 days, or more???

regards
tom

pahillbillybear

Tom,  Think like a backpacker.  I hike a bit.  Go light.  Do without some conveniences and your boat will take you where ever you want to go.  In issue number 52 of small craft advisor there is a story about a guy who cruised for a full week in a 13 foot open boat with a friend.  Two people in a 13 foot open boat for a full week on the shores of northern lake Superior.   Go for it Tom. 

sun17cat

All, I am putting my 2008 SunCat on the market the first of the year, This boat has only been sailed around 8 times and is very well equiped. Approx. list, with all of the extras was $25,500.00, asking $21,700. Boat is powered by a Torqeedo electric motor. I can furnish photos and a total equipment list. Email if interested: jimheavin@indy.rr.com.  Boat is located in Indiana and stored inside.

Jim

tmorgan

Suncat is a great boat for the type of sailing you want to do.  It is easy to launch and retrieve; easy yet stable boat to sail and works fine as an overnight cruiser as long as you do not stay out on anchor for more than a day or two.  I have the old mast system and my wife can put the mast up herself!  We sail on the Chesapeake every summer and have a great time. 

cavie

Quote from: pahillbillybear on December 20, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
I don't understand your statement about the gelcoat getting scratehed. Beaching a fiberglass boat will not scratch the gelcoat. Why would that get the Potter kicked? The other two boats are fiberglass also.

patch

traveling light is an art form.suncat has plenty of space for a day,a week or a month on the water.rode my harley from NH to alaska.2 1/2 months on the road.take 1/2 the clothes and twice the money.