a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rust Spots on the Sail

Started by rwdsr, December 14, 2009, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwdsr

My mainsail has a few rust spots on it.  You can't see it from a distance but it shows up when you are up close.  It bugs me.  Any one know what to do to fix it?  (Other than buy new sails)?  LOL
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Schwartz16

I'm sending my sails to Sail Care in Ford City, PA to have them cleaned and reconditioned. We'll see how that goes.

Rich

Tim Gardner

rwdsr,

In my experience you will absolutely love the job Sailcare will do on your sails. I've used them more than once, and have been more than satisfied with the results.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Craig Weis

I think fo48's sister-in-law is spot on! I remember seeing dad's U.S. Navy dress white's laid out in the grass, just sunning after being scrubbed absolute white using lemon juice or vinegar. Maybe the sun bleached 'em even whiter?

Since like solvents dissolve like oils and soils I think there is something to this. Thanks for the memory of placing our scrubbed main and jib for our Star Boat out on the grass to be bleached white in the sun.

skip.

Salty19

If vinegar or lemon juice does not work, try Oxyclean (or any of the Oxy labled cleaners).   Do not scrub the sails hard-be gentle.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Steve Ullrich

Here's a very cheap option for you:  Water softener cleaner... Removes rust and other hard water stains.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04234427000P?keyword=water+softner+cleaner

I've used it to clean rust spots out of carpet as well as clothing and sails.  You might want to give it a whirl?

Quote from: rwdsr on December 14, 2009, 10:29:53 PM
My mainsail has a few rust spots on it.  You can't see it from a distance but it shows up when you are up close.  It bugs me.  Any one know what to do to fix it?  (Other than buy new sails)?  LOL
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

rwdsr

Thanks all for your suggestions, good advice everyone of them.  We had water with a lot of iron in it on the farm, and grandma used to use oxolic acid to take out rust stains from the sinks, tubs, and clothes, but I don't know where you would get the stuff these days, and if you could would it ruin the sails.  I'm gonna try the lemon juice and water first, you can't go wrong with lemon juice.  And I definatly see sending them off to be professionally done in the future.  I have a main, a genoa, and a storm jib.  Anybody have any ideas about what a new set would cost?  or good used?
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Radicalcy

Go see your local drycleaner, and ask if he can let you have some Erusticator and it's attendant neutralizer. If he won't give it to you, find out who his wholesale supplier is. This stuff works instantly, but you need to use the neutralizer liberally. Sometimes in leiu of this, staight ammonia will work.

Surfrdie

Quote from: rwdsr on December 14, 2009, 10:29:53 PM

Best product for rust on anything is WINK. They sell it everywhere, WalMart, Lowes, etc. 

Steve Ullrich

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Potcake boy

RWDSR - if you have rust on your sails then you ain't usin' em enough.  You can purchase Oxalic acid from the boat store as Davis fiberglass rust stain remover.  Does a fantastic job on gelcoat and I have been debating using it on a small rust spot on my sail.  Dacron shouldn't be harmed by this acid but I have no first hand knowledge to back that up.  Anyone here tried it?

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

rwdsr

Hi Ron,
I've also heard that CLR is good stuff.  I've got some and am going to try it as soon as I get a nice warm sunny day to hook up the hose.  Got the mattresses cut for the berths on the boat this past weekend, and my mother in law gave me a real nice memory foam pillow that I wanted to use in the boat but it was too big, so I took the electric knife and cut it right half in two.  And then I shaped it same way.  Works fine I've already tested it in my bed and plan to carry that one with me when I travel instead of my big ones.  Plan to go sailing Friday.