a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compression Post

Started by Surfrdie, November 24, 2009, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfrdie

Can you tell me the exact length of the compression post?

Steve Ullrich

Your best source for replacement parts:

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/

Send them an email and they will give you a fair quote and fast service.  Great people to work with.

Steve

Quote from: Surfrdie on November 24, 2009, 07:40:05 PM
Can you tell me the exact length of the compression post?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

tsaiapex

I exchanged email with Hutchins few years ago and learned that CP19's compression posts are cut to fit when they put the boat together and there is no exact length.  I suspect CP16 is the same.

The reason is that the compression post does not rest on the cabin floor.  It is anchored to the bulkhead with two 7/16" SS bolts.

I discovered this accidentally when tearing apart the carpet behind the cut-out between the v berths in front of the post(CP19).  I noticed that SS bolt heads sunk into the post a bit and wondered if the lack of support at the base caused the compression post to drop.  I removed the bolts and noticed they were bent very slightly.  Hutchins reply convinced me that the SS bolts were adequate since the boat was 20 years old and the bend on the SS bolts were very small.

To make me feel better, I replaced the 7/16" bolts with 3/8" and wedged piece of treated lumber under the post base.  It will be good for at another 20 years!

nies

I have never understood why the post does not continue to the keel besides being attached to the bulk head frame. If anyone knows the answer I would like to know. Should we be filling that gap ?...............Phil

NateD

One of the previous owners of my 16 removed the compression post. So far I don't see any cracks of signs of abnormal stress around the mast step or coach roof. Though, it seems others have noticed pressure on the post while sailing, and tsaiapex noticed enough pressure to bend bolts. So it seems that the post does receive some pressure, and it probably wouldn't hurt to extend it down to something more solids. At the same time I have no post and the boat doesn't seem any worse for it (yet).

B.Hart

When I repaired my mast step I removed the compression post and found a very bent bolt, I also upgraded to a 3/8 bolt. (only one on my 16)  BILL