a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 19 For Sale

Started by peterg, November 12, 2009, 09:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterg

The "Beagle is a 1982 Compac 19.She was in a neighbor's yard, unused from before 1999 until I purchased her in April 2008. At the time of purchase, she was quite dry inside, showing no signs of water intrusion. The sails consisted of the original main and a working jib on a CDI furler. The hull and topsides are in great condition with only some small hairline cracks in the topside gelcoat, and faded anti-skid. It has all responded nicely to a good cleaning and waxing. The tires on the 3500# Load Rite trailer were beat, so they were replaced immediately with new rims and tires. The bearings were repacked, and a permanent three foot extension was added to the tongue, making launch and retrieval more convenient. New lights and wiring were added. A few improvements were made to the vessel after a trial sail. The first order of business was to replace the aged Suzuki with a new 4HP Yamaha Four Stroke, which is mounted on a very beefy, hydraulically assisted motor mount. Next, a new mainsail with one reef point was purchased. Lazy jacks were installed to easily drop the sail into a new green Sunbrella zippered lazy bag sail cover. (see Mack Pack or Doyle Stack Pack) A proper topping lift was installed for the boom. I am not a big fan of end boom sheeting on the Compac 19, as you end up getting tangled in mainsheet during maneuvers, so I installed mid boom sheeting and a boom vang and achieve excellent mainsail shape on all points of sail. You can also motor or sail in a standing position from behind the boom, and there is no mainsheet in the way of motor control. The main and spinnaker halyards are led aft to a dual rope clutch. A Standard Horizon MD100 digital instrument and properly installed thru-hull transducers keep track of depth, speed, log, and water temp. There is also a cockpit bulkhead compass. The transom carries a new three step telescoping stainless ladder. A new battery was installed and is serviced by a solar panel with charge controller and an on- board TrueCharge 10Amp three stage smart charger, with shore power inlet in the cockpit. There is a digital voltmeter to keep track of the charge level. All bronze ports were taken apart and the glass re-sealed, and new silicone foam gaskets replaced the black neoprene. No leaks. A teak and holly sole was installed, as well as teak bulkheads at the front of the two side berths. There is a sink with underneath storage, teak shelving, and the sink drain is routed out of a bronze thru-hull above the water line. Draining the sink into the bilge was not an acceptable option. The bilge remains dry, though it contains a new 800GPH Rule pump and float switch with manual over-ride. The cushions are clean and dry, showing no rips or stains, and very little wear. Overall, the interior is very clean and dry, with no nasty odors or mildew. Since the early Compac 19s were not factory equipped with a bowsprit, and consequently exhibited a bit (lot) too much weather helm, Hutchins started kicking the forestay out about 16" in 1984, with the added bowsprit and the introduction of the MKII series. Over the winter of 2008, an oak sprit was correctly fabricated and installed, with bobstay, whisker stays, Sampson posts, bronze front cap, teak platform,SS anchor roller,and 10 KG plow anchor. This modification moved the forestay forward 24" and provided a near neutral helm in light winds and a very acceptable amount of weather helm in 20 knots. Naturally, the bow pulpit was extended to go forward of the furler. The new red/green Perko bow light is mounted on the bronze  end of the sprit. The four-tabbed cranse iron is stainless steel. The whole deal not only works like a dream, but looks tremendous. I replaced the working jib in 2009 with a brand new furling genoa. I chose to not weight it down with a sewn on Sunbrella UV protection strip, and instead, have a zippered sleeve that is pulled up the furled sail with the spinnaker halyard. With both new sails, the Beagle consistently sails fast and points as high as her hull and keel design permits. There are green Sunbrella covers for the topside grab rails, tiller, outboard, and the teak veneered companionway board. The companionway cover has a built in screen for additional ventilation at anchor. I have probably forgotten to list a few other things I've done. The Beagle is currently out of the water, on her trailer, covered, and in my driveway in Forked River, NJ, and is for sale for a very fair price of $5000.00. Anyone interested can contact me via email at pscorion@aol.com. I am selling her because Beagle II (Compac 27) will be arriving at my dock shortly, and I don't want to have a dogfight on my hands!!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

To all:
   I can personally vouch for the beauty of this boat. (Even if her skipper has been known at times to imbibe a brew or two.) Having personally been invited to sail aboard her, I can attest to the care, thought, and inginuity that Pete's put into this boat. I love the Sampson post and bowsprit he built- made me jealous! If you are looking for a 19, this one is worth the drive.
  Bob23...no, this is not a paid endorsement!

peterg

Hey Bob23, thanks for the endorsement of Beagle I's attributes. I took a deposit on her today, and it appears that she will be sailing out of the Bohemia off the Chesapeake. The new 1990 C27 (Beagle II) is at the dock, cleaned in and out, and will depart for winter storage at Cedar Creek tomorrow PM. Thanks to all who read my post and fair winds from the transom sector.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

When do I get my check? Was I supposed to say that?
Bob23

Steve Ullrich

I noticed this Com-Pac 19 for sale on Ebay...  This thread seems as good a place to post it as any.  Current location is Coldwater Michigan.  Being sold by Boat Angle with no reserve.  Current bid, at the time I posted this, was $255.00... 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Hutchins-Com-pac-19-Used-Sailboat-Trailer-MI_W0QQitemZ110460490949QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSailboats?hash=item19b7f554c5
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

NateD

Steve,

You got me excited about a cheap boat there for a second. It's up to $402 with 5 days left now. It looks in pretty rough condition, and the add mentions a soft spot on the deck. According to the statistical models I put together, if you consider that boat in sailable condition it should go for somewhere between $2,700 to $4,500. If you don't consider it in sailable condition, then the range drops to $1,500 to $3,350. To me, it looks like it is in sailable condition (has sails and rigging, no hull damage), but it's pretty boarder line, plus it doesn't come with a motor. I would guess fair value would be $1,500 to $2,500. CP19's in MUCH better condition have sold for $4,000 or less.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19104.html - $3,600
http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19s.html - $3,800
http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19g.html - $3,750

Steve Ullrich

Hi Nate.  Yes, it does look like it is in rough condition.  I didn't read the listing carefully as I'm not shopping for a 19 so I didn't notice the disclosure about the soft deck, that would be the deal breaker for me.  Are you looking for a 19?

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on November 22, 2009, 07:47:54 AM
I noticed this Com-Pac 19 for sale on Ebay...  This thread seems as good a place to post it as any.  Current location is Coldwater Michigan.  Being sold by Boat Angle with no reserve.  Current bid, at the time I posted this, was $255.00... 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Hutchins-Com-pac-19-Used-Sailboat-Trailer-MI_W0QQitemZ110460490949QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSailboats?hash=item19b7f554c5
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

fafnir

I thought the deck on these were solid fiberglass,  with a piece of wood glassed in for the mast step.  If the mast step wood is soft that is not a big deal to fix.  Looking closely at the photos it looks like the following work would need to be done to me: 1. Re-bed all desk fittings, replace rub rail, replace/repair soft spot/mast step  and see why it is leaking around the portlights.  I really don't need another boat though. 

NateD

fafnir: Buying another boat isn't about need, actually, buying the first boat usually isn't about need either. The posting for the boat said the deck was soft near the "main sail", which I assume is the mast step.

Steve: Not really looking for a 19, but I'm always looking for a deal. But it looks like Coldwater MI is a 9 hour drive from me, so by the time I factor in gas and travel time, the $170 "processing fee", a new set of tires for the trailer, an outboard, and the expense of fixing her up next spring, I'm not willing to pay any more than $500 for the actual boat, so looks like someone else will be getting this one.

wordnut

So what would be involved in fixing the soft mast step? Is there anyway to do that without it looking bad?

fafnir

there are two different ways to handle the mast step repair,  either fix at the deck, or fix from below at the head liner.  Either way it wouldn't be too hard to cover the repair.  On the deck the aluminum mast step would cover it, and below it wouldn't be difficult to cut a piece of wood to cover the repair assuming that the C-19 has a compression post, I can't remember and am kinda feeling lazy so I won't look.

More then likely how I would handle it is from the deck side,  cut out the piece of fiberglass on top,  remove the rotten wood and glass in a new piece and then have a local fiberglass guy do the finish work which wouldn't take him more then an hour or so and I would expect it to be around $100. 

Technically you NEED a sailboat to go sailing right :-)  My wife says no more boats though. 

B.Hart

I repaired mine from  the underside, no gelcoat repair necessary on the topsides then.  BILL

wordnut

I guess I'd rather buy one in good shape to start with. Am thinking of a 19 or a 23. Not too many (virtually none) in my area (West Tennessee). My other problem is I don't have a tow vehicle to go retrieve one far away. I never really thought about it, but it is hard to buy a trailerable boat if you can't pull it.  Whatever I buy I'll probably keep docked.

Fair Turkey

--Randy

NateD

wordnut,

There is a 23 for sale in TN right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Com-Pac-23-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230408bdffQQitemZ150391537151QQptZSailboats

You can always rent a U-haul truck if you need something to tow it with.

Nate

wordnut

Nate, thanks. I'm following that sale and have asked a few questions but haven't got much for answers (it's about 5 and half hours away from me). The price seems to be moving up quickly considering the flange leak and abrasion. I understand the leak isn't all that hard to fix because you can access the fasteners (screws? bolts?) easily. Of course "hard" is a relative term!