a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wiring

Started by nies, November 12, 2009, 03:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

I would solder anything that you consider a permenant connection.   One trick is to first add a short lenght of heat shrink to one of the wires before soldering.  After soldering, take some dilectric grease, smear it on the solder work, then slip the heat shrink over the solder joint and heat with a lighter/match.  It won't be waterproof, but will be highly water resistant. 

Also be sure to use only marine grade wiring which is tinned throughout the wire.  Otherwise copper corrodes quickly under dampness and will alter the electron flow (more resistance).  Since Volts=amps times resistance, you can see how more resistance decreases with the volts, amps, or both...
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Craig Weis

Ah learn something every day.

"marine grade wiring which is tinned throughout the wireOtherwise copper corrodes quickly under dampness and will alter the electron flow (more resistance).  Since Volts=amps times resistance, you can see how more resistance decreases with the volts, amps, or both..."
I never knew that. But how does a tinned wire bend? Wouldn't it be too hard? Like bell wire?
Thanx. It's a little late for me to redo my wiring but future projects...Marine Grade for me.

skip.

Bob23

Skip- It bends. It's not tinned like a piece of wire that's been soldered. Trust me...would I lie?
Bob23

nies

Bob, now I have to worry all the wiring I have installed over the years is not the right stuff......... "ignorance is bliss" ........thanks a lot.......your former friend Phil

Salty19

Yeah, it bends.  It's stiffer than standard automotive grade wiring-but still pliable.   I guess I used the word TIN which implies the same thickness as a solder joint. It's not, it's just a fraction of a millimeter coating of tin or whatever alloy they use today.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Craig Weis

The tinning to limit corrosion is important I guess 'cause the electrons travel on the outside of the wire. Never through the wire. So corrosion makes these little 'speed bumps'. If electrons are forced through the wire they get red hot to toast your toast.

Huge dia transmission lines are e-coated so the electrons running up and down the wires between cities don't errode off the copper, killing the grass under the power lines.

I built an E-coat line for that purpose for a mere $1.3 million Canadian about 30 years ago. I hate the EPA. They just cost consummers money.
skip.

brackish

When I built my motor disconnect, I initially had a problem with an open circuit.  I thought it was my work, and called Anderson power pole (maker of the connectors) for advice.  They recommended a proper crimp for their contacts.  Said that when attaching a contact that has a circumferential tube on the end, it is difficult to keep from getting a flux film between surfaces.  I had used a crimp.

As it turns out, the problem was not with their disconnects or my work installing them but in another area of the circuit.  Ironically, improper crimps on butt splices put on by the yard that commissioned the boat.

Frank 2

kchunk

Quote from: brackish on December 16, 2009, 12:00:24 PM
Ironically, improper crimps on butt splices put on by the yard that commissioned the boat.

Well, so much for crimping being idiot proof. We have another saying in aircraft maintenance, "If you make everything idiot proof, you'll eventually have idiots working on the airplanes." I guess this applies to the marine industry as well  ;)

--Greg