a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sheathing on side stays

Started by kickingbug1, November 11, 2009, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i have seen this on other boats but I'm curious if putting sheathing on side stays is a bad idea (possible corrosion due to moisture buildup). i trailer sail my boat and the sheathing might eliminate the black marks left by the stainless steel shrouds. any thoughts?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

nies

kickingbug1, I have used white plastic sheaths on my side stays for years without any problems, they work good.......PHIL

kickingbug1

as usual i came to the right place. im thinking this is the next thing my com-pac gets. i might try clear tubing that a guy can buy cheap at rural king . thanks again for the advice
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

I had them on my Hunter 23 for many years without corrosion issues, but I'm in fresh water only.  Might make a difference.  I know I'ver read that there can be issues there, out of sight, out of mind?  They did keep the jib sheets from snagging and fraying on the turnbuckles and pins.  That is a plus...

Quote from: kickingbug1 on November 11, 2009, 04:42:51 PM
   i have seen this on other boats but I'm curious if putting sheathing on side stays is a bad idea (possible corrosion due to moisture buildup). i trailer sail my boat and the sheathing might eliminate the black marks left by the stainless steel shrouds. any thoughts?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Bob23

Kick:
   I purchased the covers you speak of but never got around to putting them on. I originally bought the correct size (5/32) but found them too tight so I bought 3/8". I think clear plastic tubing might start looking cheap and dirty after a while. If I had my way, I'd buy classy ash shroud covers....wonderful classic approach befitting a classic yacht such as our Compacs.
   I don't think the vinul covers are that tight to cause a corrosion problem- you are still allowing oxygen to get to the stainless.
Bob23

Bob Condon

On my Cape Dory, I have vinyl covers from WestMarine. I remove them each winter. the boat is a salt water
boat so I want the cable to be washed and completely dried out before wrapping for winter storage.

My Compaq has clear tubing, around 3/4" from the previous owner. The size is to slide over the connector. The bad part is
the ugly mold that grows INSIDE the tube... gotta remember to remove them and give them nice new white vinyl covers...

Bob
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Salty19

Steve, yes those moldings are good to have to reduce those black scuff marks.   A magic eraser will take off the marks.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603