a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Safe way to step mast

Started by Glenn Basore, November 02, 2009, 03:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

If you own an Eclipse you've been shown how to raise your mast using the boom Vang. I was never to thrilled about raising the mast this way.

I decided to go back to my old way of stepping my mast (previous boat method) by using the boat trailer winch, this works extremely well.

Everything is pretty much the same except I connect my winch hook to the end of the gin pole after running the winch line over the bow rail.

Now I connect the line you would normally use to connect to the gin pole as you would nominally do. For additional safety and dividing the loads I add the main sheet halyard to the end of the gin pole too. make sure the slack is removed from the main halyard and the line you nominally use Set the blocks so the lines are secure and cant slip out while raising or lowering the mast.

I also make sure my shroud adjustments are in the closed position (this seems to help with the mast stability when raising or lowering.

With everything ready I Begin raising the mast using the boat winch, make sure you have the ratchet set so it locks the winch so it wont free wheel if you let go, it should lock in place when you stop.

When the mast is fully raised I set the safety pin at the mast and secure the jib head stay, once everything is secure I remove the winch hook.

Lowering the mast is the just the reverse with one exception. some times when I start to lower the mast it will not begin to move. the line begins to build a little bit of slack  Stop........simply make sure the winch is in the "locked postion" and walk over to one of your shroud lines and pull on it, once the mast is tilted back a bit you can return to the trailer winch and cranker her the rest of the way down.

I'm sure you all have your own way of stepping your mast but I offer this only as an alternative, I do feel for me at age 61 this is safer for me and does not need a lot of physical effort on my part.

Glenn B.

nies

GLENN, GREAT DESCRIPTION OF METHOD USED TO RISE OR LOWER YOUR MAST. I WILL MODIFY YOUR METHOD FOR MY CP16. COMPANIES SHOULD HIRE YOU TO WRITE INSTRUCTIONS TO GO WITH THEIR PRODUCTS, LIKE SWING SETS.......PHIL

Craig Weis

I just shoulder the damn thing and walk it up.
Somebody puts the Harkin pin in.
skip.

Glenn Basore

Quote from: skip on November 03, 2009, 10:10:12 AM
I just shoulder the damn thing and walk it up.
Somebody puts the Harkin pin in.
skip.

Skip,

Wish I had your strength.............

Glenn B.

Glenn Basore

Quote from: nies on November 02, 2009, 05:34:54 PM
GLENN, GREAT DESCRIPTION OF METHOD USED TO RISE OR LOWER YOUR MAST. I WILL MODIFY YOUR METHOD FOR MY CP16. COMPANIES SHOULD HIRE YOU TO WRITE INSTRUCTIONS TO GO WITH THEIR PRODUCTS, LIKE SWING SETS.......PHIL

Phil,

Thanks for the kind words.

I wasnt too sure I painted a clear enough picture of what I was wanting to say.